dominick_mejia

Pineapple sage - autumn/winter care tips

Dominick Mejia
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi

My pineapple sage plant is shedding its leaves. They're turning yellow/brown. I water it every week so I think it may due to the temperature beginning to drop now.

I've read that you're suppose prune pineapple sages in autumn/winter and they will grow back in spring/summer. Would that apply to potted ones kept indoors?

Does anyone have any care advice please?

Here's are photos of my pineapple sage:

Cheers

Dom

Comments (4)

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Hi Dom. I think it needs repotting into a bigger plant pot as this plant can grow fairly big. For indoor plants I always use a lining pot, a cheap plastic plant pot with holes for drainage then put this inside the more decorative pot which has no holes. A thin layer of grit inside the bottom of the outer pot also helps with drainage but not always necessary, especially if it’s in a dry spot. As for pruning, I couldn’t say but advice online says it’s usually done in spring when the weather starts to warm up. I’d repot it first and give it a small amount of plant feed as it might get a shock from being moved. Best of luck:) I have the blackcurrant sage and the scented leaves are fab.

• Dominick Mejia
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Rachel!

Do you know why the leaves a re yellowing and falling off? I'm not really sure what else to do as I already water it once a week and I've placed it by the window so it gets sun.

Cheers
    Dom

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Hi Dom. Could be a number of reasons why the leaves are turning yellow, perhaps it naturally wants to go dormant with the cooler weather. Could be a good opportunity to cut it back, re pot and take cuttings (apparently they root really easily). My experience with house plants can be hit and miss so don’t take my word for it;) Hopefully this might give you some more info: http://theherbgardener.blogspot.com/2010/06/how-to-grow-pineapple-sage.html

• Dominick Mejia
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Thanks Rachel! Will that link a read as well
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.