matthew_hewitt52

Advice regarding garden layout for paths, patio/decking area

Matthew Hewitt
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hey guys,

I need inspiration and your suggestions.

I'm after a way to tie in the different aspects of my evolving garden. I've had a garden office installed with a temporary path on one side and a new shed at the other back corner. I do plan to rip up the old patio and paths at the bottom of the photo and replace, so everything is potentially subject to change.

My initial feeling was to add a deck immediately outside the double doors of the garden office and a linking path down that side/edge of the garden, or extend the proposed deck to replace all the shrubs, all the way to join where the old patio currently sits. From this I want to create a seating area, and somewhere to cook (BBQ), potentially with a pergola aspect to it, leaving the lawn generally how it is, with the exception of reclaiming the area with the temporary path.

Surridge Back Garden · More Info

Comments (9)

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Hi. Just bumping. Plus having a think about it:)

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Dimensions will probably help people as well :)

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Had some thoughts about your garden and came up with a rough sketch:) (see pic). Decking outside the garden office would look nice but I’m not sure about bringing it all the way to the house as decking can take a fair amount of maintenance although you can get composite decking or slabs that look like wood which would probably be easier to look after. I think breaking it up and having some planting would be nice and more pleasing to look at. So on the sketch I brought the decking to surround the office windows then added a small seating area and space for planting which could include a small pond or water feature. This could be like a contemplation area where you can relax and have a tea break:) Instead of decking pathway I think slabs or tiles to match the patio would be better. The patio I’ve kept as is but extended a little to include bbq area. Did think that putting the bbq on the right side of patio might be good as well. Put in some extra planting areas but that’s just because I like plants:) planting pocket is basically a hole in the deck but some tall grasses or similar with lighting would look great on the left side of the office and help to balance things out. Not sure on a pergola mainly because I think adding another tall structure on the left would make that side of the garden seem overly busy but it’s entirely up to you what you want. Anyway hope this gives you some fresh ideas:) P.s. sketch is not to scale.

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Thought this garden tour might interest you as well as it has a similar style with areas of interest on one side of the lawn. https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/garden-tour-a-calm-urban-oasis-with-space-for-entertaining-stsetivw-vs~120586484

• Matthew Hewitt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Excellent, thanks Rachel, really appreciate the effort. I'll make sure to get the dimensions too.

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

It would be useful to know which way is north too

• PRO
    Gripdeck Ltd
    4 years ago

Hi Matthew, If you are looking at putting a deck into the garden, then please have a look at our anti slip decking range at www.gripdeck.co.uk

• Matthew Hewitt
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi al, I'm not able to edit the original post, so i'll upload the diagram with sizes here. Also showing north direction relative to the garden. Thanks.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.