rose_williams31

Spa house Hot tub in jeopardy

Rose Williams
4 years ago

I am so close to completion on my rear garden plans, pond built (I have other problems finishing that, best for a separate post), all the framework of the landscape in, power run underground, inside of the house remodelling very much getting towards knocking out big doors into the back garden but now find myself stuck finding a hot tub supplier that are willing to place the hot tub where I want it!

There was a block built 3.4x3m shed that never had a proper roof on it thus it was moldy and destroyed. I cut it down, retaining some of the wall, and just finished building a polycarbonate roof. I have created a 300 x 116cm clear gap in the front which I thought a tub would go in there just fine. The wall including the wooden top is 90cm high. Trouble is, EVERY hot tub company ranging from a 4k to 12k tub I am considering simply will not entertain getting one in there. Some say the roof needs to come off, others wont tilt it never mind roll it on it's side, and the rest insist I have to demolish the front wall to get it in!

A very specific tub I am interested in is the Hot Springs ("Portable spa") Flair 5 person tub... certainly on the high end of my budget. It weighs 400KG dry weight and is 2x2m x about 90cm high. They say it cant be delivered without the wall taking down, something I do not believe... yet they also want £100 ("refundable") "deposit", to come out to take a look. Does this not sound like an absolutely ludicrous way to get over £10k of business? I think my eyesight and measuring skills are perfectly fine, the path to the spa house is quite ample, I can literally pave the way with all the slabs waiting to go down, make ramps, ... etc.

I have all the floor leveler, tiles, dashing to do the outside, but I'm stuck with what to do now.

Does the insistence on taking down walls etc sound unreasonable to anyone else, or is it just me?

Comments (4)

• K D
    4 years ago

Sorry if I’m being dense but how are you hoping they’ll get the tub into the spa house? If over the wall, I’m not sure how they’ll lift and manoeuvre, as it’s really heavy (I’d imagine they normally trundle on wheels?) Or if through the gap, again I’m not sure how they’ll have space to twist through and down again into the right spot?

• Rose Williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have no idea why I couldnt reply on the mobile app... ah well.

The general dry weight is 400kg which I have to say isnt major, a lot is comprised of the main air/water pumps. If they are not removeable/replaceable then the warranty of the tub isnt worth squat.

I would imagine up to 4 people, a wall that can take the weight is there to rest on, and if really fussy about the initial lift, perhaps a fork lift. Once up, all it needs is to be moved forward and gradually lowered inside on perhaps a load bearing air bag as is conventionally used.

Not sure what you mean about twist, there is tilting and side space all the way around the space, it's not a tight letterbox.

These things commonly get rolled in by one, maybe 2 people on it's side on a trolley, many will fit through a doorway, and then 2 people would gently lower it down. Sometimes, they are crane lifted over the house!... I see not reason it couldnt be lifted relatively flat over a short wall.

There are a lot of tub only 60-70cm high (2x2m), that should just trolley dolly through the door, in fact many advertised to fit through a standard domestic doorway, this is larger, with just as much head room, so for the life of me, I can't understand why they look at this construction and run a mile, make it out to be more difficult than it actually is.

I do have an option, buy a build a spa and put the thing together myself, there is zero issue getting the components in there, maybe the spa house is for bigger than it looks on a photograph! That said, hot tubs all break down, many go to the stores in parts to assemble, many are put together on site.... so why can't I find a company who will do on-site assembly.

My opinion is that companies are only interested in sending monkey cowboy muscle to do installations, so unless it's dead easy, roll in and flit, theyre not interested.

My electrician told me about one delivered only just down the road where they dumped it in that hard, they mangled the power supply on the hot tub that badly he had to completely replace it.

• Rose Williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

OK!... re-design it is. I will build a support pillar in the opposite corner from the existing, cut out the middle, have a single row across the bottom (for sleepers to attach to), This makes it all chunky and clad identical to the huge pond build, all removable, and no whinging backs getting a hot tub in. Ah well, these things are sent to try us!

• Rose Williams
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I will update this too. I knocked out the front, and this is how far it is tiled. I'm going to be extending the polycarbonate roof a bit further back (fun).

An earlier photo:

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.