gabby247

How do I rescue this succulent?

Gabby Wong
4 years ago

Soo... I bought a couple of little succulents years ago, one died and I kinda failed to get rid of it for a while... but In going to do so now, I noticed a spring of life!

Is there a good way of saving this little offshoot?

the original plant never had great roots that extended more than the small amount seen in the last pic.

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (4)

• Sonia
    4 years ago

It wants to live! I’ve just bought a cute succulent from Sainsbury’s and then read up a bit more (wrong way round I know!) but gleaned that they need bright sunlight (south facing area is best) and only need watering every 2-3 weeks. The info I read suggests that you water until the water comes out of the bottom of the pot, and then throw the water away. They hate sitting in water. Also never plant in a pot without holes at the bottom, so a pot within a pot is best, if that makes sense! Considering they like dry arid conditions it is no wonder they are difficult to grow in the UK. I hope it survives. Here’s my new one:

• Gabby Wong
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Sonia, love yours! This was a £1 cheapy from Asda. So I’m pretty pleased it lasted, as well as it did and that the 2nd one is still going! They just live in the bathroom and the humidity in there seems to be enough without essentially any watering!

I did a bit of googling as well, and decided to pull them off the main dead plant and lay them in the soil as that’s apparently what you do with leaves to get whole new plants growing!

We’ll see how it does over the next few weeks!

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Good luck Gabby!

• PRO
    AGI Landscapes
    4 years ago

Also make sure your potting compost is free draining, add a bit of horticultural grit to the mix.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.