libertyalexviv

Design inspiration for master bedroom suite in earth sheltered house

libertyalexviv
4 years ago

Hi I'm looking for a bit of design inspiration for master suite in my home which is in desperate need of renovation. Its slightly complex as the house is a earth sheltered listed property (link attached) so knocking walls down and reconfiguring the rooms would be a challenge. The house is 43 years old and we purchased it from the original architect. Much of the internal finishings and fixtures are still seated in the 70s. In the master bedroom suite we have a dressing room, shower room, toilet and washbasin, and a bedroom so we have lots of space but I need a bit of help thinking about how we can modernise the layout without changing the physical configuration. There is one area however that I can change - the dressing table area between the bedroom and shower room is just a hardboard partition with a mirror so we can take this away and open this up if we wanted to.... Any help, advice or suggestions would be very gratefully received....Thanks in advance! Xx

Ive attached a floor plan of the area with measurements along with some pics of the rooms as they are currently.....

Comments (12)

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

Ps I think you should it more the height of the windows and put full length curtains from floor to ceiling to give the room more height

libertyalexviv thanked Jonathan
  • E D
    4 years ago

What an amazing object!

Fantastic setting with incredible views.

I wasn’t expecting that from looking at your photos.

Thanks for posting the link, it brings them into context.

I feel the interior deserves well thought through planning.

I’m sure there will be useful suggestions here to get you going.

Good luck.

libertyalexviv thanked E D
  • libertyalexviv
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Jonathan. As we are listed its a real challenge to make structural changes...and I'm not sure we will be able to take both side walls of the shower room down but certainly to move the bed to make the most of the view is a good option as is maybe a bath under the window. Thanks for taking the time! Xx

• AMB
    4 years ago

What an amazing property! You are very lucky.

Pray tell, will you be keeping the pool?

Jonathan has a good idea but I think if you are worried about moving walls then maybe just replace and update all the fixtures and fittings and then see how you feel. Even a coat of paint can make a massive difference. In the ensuite, it's hard to tell the layout from your photos but you could definitely get rid of the bidet. Having the bidet's plumbing and waste should give you more flexibility if you want to change the bathroom layout too.

Keep us posted, this is a really interesting house!

libertyalexviv thanked AMB
  • libertyalexviv
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much E D.... Ive got bags of enthusiasm...just needs a bit of direction - lol! Thank for taking the time to respond! Xx

• libertyalexviv
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks AMB... We will be keeping the pool.... The challenge is updating in a way that does the property justice... and I'm a novice - lol! Xx

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

I think you need clarity about what is a structural change. If the bathroom walls are partitions do they count?

libertyalexviv thanked Jonathan
  • libertyalexviv
    Original Author
    4 years ago

hmmm..... I think they do but yes I think I do need to clarify...thanks for pointing it out Jonathan! Xx

• Patrina
    4 years ago

Wow what an amazing property! would be interesting to know about it's eco credentials. Don't know about decorating underground dwellings but my first thought is Lots of light! I'm sure our amazing Houzzers will be able to give you some great suggestions but following this thread because your home is so fascinating.

libertyalexviv thanked Patrina
  • libertyalexviv
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Patrina Part of the updating work we are tasked with is to look at the sustainability of some of the services/utilities etc.... Obviously we have plenty in insulation in some areas of the house but as the house was built in the 70's we are trying to explore better, more effective options! We're certainly on a learning curve! Thanks for your interest! Xx

• PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

Wow ! Just wow ! I don’t usually click on links - but I’m so glad I did - what a Home !

libertyalexviv thanked OnePlan
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.