lorna_mccoll

What colour tiles should I use?

Lorna Mccoll
4 years ago

Hello, I was wondering if I can have some help please on what colour tile I should use over the cream paint in the kitchen. I am getting so fed up of splashing food on the walls (I had a particularly bad incident when blending plums the other day, after this photo was taken!) The kitchen joins on to the living room so I am trying to work out what colour I should use and where the tilling should stop. Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

Comments (21)

• PRO
    At No 19
    4 years ago

Hi Lorna, it’s always a little tricky adding tiles when you’ve already got a hob splash-back. It would be easier and much less expensive to paint the area between worktop and wall units in a washable kitchen / bathroom paint. In fact it’s a good idea to use it in the whole of the kitchen. The finish of that paint is pretty well matt these days too. Hope that helps.

Lorna Mccoll thanked At No 19
  • Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

If you'd rather not tile, and just have paint, you could look at decorators varnish going over the top. I've not used it but various people on here have recommended it to help protect paint in kitchens and bathrooms (maybe search for it)... not sure if it's better for just water splashes as opposed to stains. but I know people have used it over paint in-between worktop units like yours

I wonder whether with the units, and the worktop already having a splash back whether addition tiles as well would be too busy?

Other alternative would be to get a simple plain-ish coloured glass spashback?

Lorna Mccoll thanked Gabby Wong
  • Lorna Mccoll
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you very much for both of your comments. I didn't think painting it would be an option but actually using a special type of paint for the kitchen that would wipe clean sounds like a great idea. I will take a look into these different types online and see if homebase does it!

• Lisa D
    4 years ago

Yeah the wipe clean paint really works - I usually go dulux. I have added it before as I would a tiled area (so as not to redecorate whole kitchen). Just mask at the end of the cupboards so you get a straight line.

Lorna Mccoll thanked Lisa D
  • Lorna Mccoll
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Ok I am drawn towards the wipe clean paint. The only dilemma I have is that the colour that the rest of the room is (kitchen is joined onto the lounge) is dulux honeybeam and they don't do that colour in wipe clean. Do I go for something similar or will that look weird? I am thinking I will need to mask it off around where the microwave is?

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Is that the colour above the microwave? It looks like it changes colour when you hit the units in that pic, or is it just the lighting?

If you like & want to keep the honey beam You could always get a colour matched paint - valspar and I think johnstones trade do colour matching?

• Lorna Mccoll
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That's just the lighting, my whole house is open play so that colour goes throughout. Ah that's a good idea, thank you, I will ask at homebase today for them to do that :)

• Huw Buckley
    4 years ago

Johnstone's Trade acrylic durable Matt is heavy duty likeable and they will colourmatch with Dulux. I have colour matched Dulux Timeless in this stuff :)

Lorna Mccoll thanked Huw Buckley
  • Lorna Mccoll
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That's good! Ok persuading my other half to use paint over tile is proving tricky, he says because the walls are plasterboard (which is porous) wipe clean paint won't work. Could this be true?

• obobble
    4 years ago

Do you mean plasterboard that hasn’t been skimmed over? If it’s had a skim coat then he is wrong. If you have correctly prepped the plaster with a mist coat before painting you should have no probs with adhesion. Definitely use sugar soap to remove any grease before painting tho.

Lorna Mccoll thanked obobble
  • PRO
    At No 19
    4 years ago

Drywall sealers can be applied over plasterboard, I guess there’s no way you can know whether yours had this treatment before it was painted originally. A reputable decorators merchants should be able to advise whether the proposed kitchen and bathroom paint will work in this scenario.

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Maybe call Homebase before you go... ?

I know valspar are only at B&q and I think you need to specifically find a Johnstone’s trade warehouse for their colour matching - not sure if Homebase (or definitely all of them) would be able to help

Lorna Mccoll thanked Gabby Wong
  • Lorna Mccoll
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks guys, well in that case I will call into b and q it as is not too much further. (plus we need to buy some other stuff from there too) I am not sure we will be able to find out whether it was skimmed over as the house was built in the 80's and we have only lived here 3 years.. I am tempted to go to b and q and ask someone there then they might persuade him/ advise. I will remember sugar scrub too, I didn't think of that!

• sksj1
    4 years ago

I’m tempted to say paint it a plum colour!

Lorna Mccoll thanked sksj1
  • Ribena Drinker
    4 years ago

I think it's highly unlikely that the plaster wasn't skimmed. I can't think of any earthly reason why they wouldn't skim it with plaster. I suspect your OH is making up stories, just to get the tiles........

Lorna Mccoll thanked Ribena Drinker
  • PRO
    At No 19
    4 years ago

Using plaserboard in conjunction with jointing wall tape is quite common in new builds because it is quicker without the need to wait for plaster to dry. Done correctly it gives a high end finish, I've come acrross it many, many times.

• Lorna Mccoll
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love the plum idea, I will look into that! We went to b and q and I could not decide so walked away to have a think. The guy behind the paint counter said it can be tricky matching our colour as its from the "light and space" range. so maybe going for a whole new colour is not a bad idea!

• Lisa D
    4 years ago

Yes I’d definitely go for a different colour as you will always see the join of a different texture paint. Not sure what else is going on in the room for colour advice.

• obobble
    4 years ago

If you take the cover off a power socket (after turning off the circuit) you should be able to see if the wall has been skimmed. Alternatively, if you could drill a small hole into the wall where it won’t show, you will get plaster coloured dust if it is plastered.

• PRO
    Schmidt Dorking
    4 years ago

Since you have the splash-back behind the hob, it will be tricky to use tiles. You can use glass splash-back and it won't interfere too much since it doesn't have a lot of joints. Other option is painting the wall with a kitchen paint, which is washable. In terms of colour white will bring more light to the kitchen.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.