and_99

Window frame and door colour

and_99
4 years ago

Hi, we have just silicone rendered our house in an off-white and now need to pick a colour for our bay windows and front door. We have anthracite grey pvc on side and back and same colour ally bifolds on back.

Not keen to have windows white as they will be lost against the render.

Next door have a mid grey for their windows. We were thinking a lighter grey but then the door frame would have to be same and what would the door colour be?

Pic taken after sun had set so looks quite dull here!

Comments (48)

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I did wonder about this colour, not sure what it is though!

• Kathy
    4 years ago

I am bored stiff with grey. It looks good on that character property but as someone whose job involves visiting houses, it always feels gloomy.

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

Pale grey / green, it would work well with the red brick.

• Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago

Is it a cool off white with blue in or a warmer off white?

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’d say cool

• E D
    4 years ago

I like the (off) white and grey in your own example photo, and_99 but your white render looks more blue-ish white.

Do you want to keep it like that?

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Love the grey, love the green. Both would look fab against the red brick and white render.

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

ED - I think it does a bit of a blue tinge unfortunately, something that we couldn't tell on the sample. We're kind of stuck with that now so have to roll with it.

Sonia - do you think the green grey would work with the cool white render?

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Yes I think it will look fab. If green is not to your taste, black window frames look stunning too. It may be a step too far but here’s some pics!

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

There are quite a few period houses round our way with black window frames (but white windows) on the bay, does look good. See

example below. Although we wouldn't want a black door so I guess it would have to be black frame white door.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Yes that colour combo is lovely and has a 1930s vibe. Black doors can look stunning. My sister has a black composite door with chrome furniture and it looks so smart.

• Juliet Docherty
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

When you are combining two colours which are almost opposite (like red/orange and possibly green) they exaggerate each other and can clash. Your bricks are very colourful and strong so if you do go for a grey with a green tinge make sure it is quite dull and not too green otherwise it could look a bit garish. I like the white windows against the render, it looks classy and allows the door to be the focus,I would be tempted to do off white windows and a blue door like this:

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Colourhappy. I appreciate what you’re saying but I really feel we need a colour to break up the bright white! Am tempted by the black frames as per my last image, what do you think?

• E D
    4 years ago

Can you possibly share a photo showing more of the house so we literally can get the bigger picture?

• E D
    4 years ago

I really like colourhappy’s suggestions.

Yes, classy and likely to be timeless (but still contemporary).

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

Love the idea of black frames, but i would still have a black door, they do look very classy.

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Tbh I think the very first pic in your first reply to this thread has a great window colour, nearly a light grey/green hint! Looks very classy and just stands out enough!

The black and white one at the end, not feeling that at all sorry :-(

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Also the first house in Sonia’s post above has a great window and door colour too! I’ve sort of went of black and grey windows myself, I’m looking to do mine next year and am looking along these lines now!

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

E D I'm just not sure about white on white, even with a coloured door. I think it works alot of the time, but we have alot of white render compared to some.

Maths Wife yes definitely a contender but I do worry black is a bit too strong.

Beano yes the first pic posted is nice, but it's whether a cool white would work with it!

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Tbh I think it could possibly change the time of the existing render, it looks very white against your existing windows but a colour change in them will have an effect on it all!

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

I think the two I mentioned could possibly soften the white somewhat, just my thoughts, I’d get a tester of a few colours and paint some wood to try against the render, that will all just be ral colours anyway, ps I’ve heard coloured renders change over time too!

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

E D More pics as requested

• Daisy England
    4 years ago

If you already have anthracite grey on some then I’d stick to the same plus it’ll contrast against the white render. Either anthracite grey or black door.

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Daisy England , yes we have anthracite on side and back, but the front are wood (and aren't really seen at same time) so perhaps could take a different colour?

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We’ve decided on a mid grey, possibly towards the blue side (not much though). A light grey undercoat going on right now.

Just wondering if the roof colour will work though as it’s got quite a red tinge to it?

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

More photos below:

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Darker, lighter or the same as undercoat? What do you think? Hint of blue, green or brown in grey best?

• E D
    4 years ago

Looking pretty good already!

The white render is not so ‘cold’ looking in your latest photos.

I feel a slightly greenish grey would look great.

• Patrina
    4 years ago

I think the slightly different tinge in the render is perhaps due to the wet weather we are having. I think the idea of having a slightly lighter greenish grey would look good.

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The render is a strange white! In those photos and when it’s sunny it’s not so cold but overcast and it’s definitely got a blue-grey hint!

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OK coming down to the crunch, decisions need to be made! Here are some (mostly) RAL colours. After lots of deliberation among the neighbours, the top far right was suggested for the frames and the blue grey (RAL 7031) bottom right for the door. I painted a matt tester as you can see in the photos. It looks a little lighter in the flesh.

Thoughts?

• LTS
    4 years ago

Hi what did you decide? Am also pondering the same with our house but not having much luck with local window companies!

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We have just gone with a dark grey lol... after all that! - Ral 7011, a dark grey, not quite as dark as RAL 7016 anthracite. Mainly because we have anthracite on side/back, it has to be fairly dark to have a nice contrast with the white modern render and also because we wanted to be different to our next door neighbours who have a mid grey. We're going to see how that works for us over this week and if it's too dark will just go over with a lighter shade!

• LTS
    4 years ago

I emphasise as it’s so hard making the decisions! And the colours looks so different in different light. Please post a pic when it’s finished :)

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here’s the Ral 7011 on all frames and a lighter colour on door (a random undercoat that actually looks like a nice colour!)

The scaffolding is casting shaddows deepening it somewhat, however I still feel it’s too dark, especially as it’s a north facing front.

Been testing out lighter colours below, anyone for an opinion?!

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

For me the ones circled in red possibly

and_99 thanked Anthony (Beano)
  • LTS
    4 years ago

Oops my post should have said empathise not emphasise, lol.

It looks too dark for me personally, my neighbours have black which is not my preference as I think a softer grey/green works better in summery/gloomy days. Could you place the sample board between the red brick & render? I suspect you may have already decided what to do by now!

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

LTS yes I think it's too dark. It does have elegance but also gloomy, especially at night! I've had quite a few neighbours say these like it, but some also feel too dark. I'm literally stuck trying to find the right colour! The roof (currently) is slte but has a reddish/purple hue so along with the slight cool blue hue to the white render it's proving tricky!!

• LTS
    4 years ago

It’s soooooo hard!!!! I suspect mine will remain white when we finally get round to it as I will be in the same boat as you!

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Finally settled on this midgrey for the windows! Trying a dark grey door, thoughts on this or suggestion?

• LTS
    4 years ago

I like it! If you feel the door is too dark I think the same colour as the window frames would work too!

• LTS
    4 years ago

BTW what RAL colour is it?

• and_99
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks! I wondered if we could introduce a colour for the door, although not sure what works with mid grey...

It's not RAL, its Dulux Night Jewels 3

• Mimi Fog
    3 years ago

black frames & door, always think it looks classy

• LTS
    3 years ago

Mimi Fog do you mean black window frames too? I agree about a black door but our neighbours have black window frames & IMO it’s made their house look gloomy. Thanks :)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.