jacqueline_horgan

how many lights - understanding lumens???

Hi All,
I have a living room with a v low ceiling Aprox 7ft and I am relying on wall uplighters for main light source with 1 recessed light in 2 alcoves at one end of the room an led strip light under mantelpiece and 2 spot lights at the other. The wall lights will be evenly spaced 2 on each opposing walls. My room is approx 23ftx11ft.
I enquired about light projection of some wall lights thinking I would purchase 2 single up lights and 2 double up lights. This is part of the email I got back.

The bulbs are a 5w led which are similar to the 40w incandescent bulbs, and are approx 4 70 lumens.
For your room a Single Morston will give an output of 1.85 lumens per square feet.

The Double Morston will give an output of 3.41 lumens per square feet.

I have no idea whether this will give me enough light. After googling living rooms with 8ft ceilings it suggests 10-20 foot candles 1000-2000 lumens per sq foot. Is that in total or per light? If it’s per light I am way out with these lights and perhaps am unlikely to find suitable lighting. However with spots, recessed lights and some table lamps it may be possible???? Please if anyone can help, I have been searching for lights for months it is now becoming a headache and I need to order something!

Comments (3)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.