sw11renovator

Victorian Wood Flooring -- Keep or ditch?

SW11 Renovator
4 years ago

We are planning to dig a basement under our Victorian property in Clapham. We have what I understand to be original wood flooring (depicted below) in our front room and reception.

Should we try to keep these during the renovation? One of the planks is broken and there are sock-killing nails protruding in several places. The planks have gaps wide enough for my wedding ring to fall through in places and squeak and groan under the weight of my supple form in others. There seems to be a gap underneath, which can't be energy efficient.

Having lived in flats all my life, my question to expert Houzzers is can this be fixed and is it worth the hassle? If it can be fixed, what does that process entail, especially given there will be a basement dug underneath.

Much appreciated!

Comments (7)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.