ambirchall1985

How to treat a new pine bannister?

AMB
4 years ago

I have had a new pine stair balustrade installed in my Victorian terrace. I'm going to paint the spindles and base rails white and want to stain the newel posts and handrails dark.

I'm not sure what to use - oil, varnish, stain? I'm looking to get a mid to dark oak-like colour (no orange!) and I don't want the finish to be too shiny. I'm not planning to use wax as it gets sticky. I've used Osmo clear oil on our floors but it has gone orange over time so I don't want to use it again.

Any advice or recommendations?

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Paintforme
    4 years ago

Hi AMB,

It's great looking wooden balustrade in natural pine colour. Its light coloured wood looks beatiful while natural; have you considered applying clear varnish in satin finish to all?

Regards,

Paintforme

• AMB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Paintforme. I appreciate the beauty of the plain pine but I am wanting a more traditional look. Also, the tops are hemlock so the wood looks slightly different.

• obobble
    4 years ago

When I couldn’t find a varnish colour I liked, I mixed my own.. I got tester pots and experimented, measuring out different proportions using a medicine tot until I found a mix that I liked.

• PRO
    Paintforme
    4 years ago

Hi AMB,

It's great to hear people still want traditional finish.

In this case:

1. Light sanding and proper dust off before anything.

2. Do knotting before priming, this will prevent resin from oozing (yellow/orange patches) through.

3. Apply primer, then undercoat, then two coats finish paint. Light sanding and dust off - that's after undercoat and before final coat.

Have fun or call us for help (only London area).

Paintforme

• AMB
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Paintforme!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.