katherine_gamble15

bugbear under stairs support post

Katherine
4 years ago

In a bid to maximise the area underneath the stairs in our cottage renovation, we want to remove an annoying vertical post. Due to limited space, we don't wish to transform the entire area into a cupboard. I have reclaimed the space directly underneath the stairs, before the return, and the plan is to build a storage cupboard that includes this and the area up until the second support post. It is the third post (the one with the telephone cable attached), that we want to remove. Can anyone advise us on how we can do this without compromising safety?

This photo is of the area above the posts/stairs:

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Comments (7)

• obobble
    4 years ago

PS Just checking - is the cottage is listed?

• Katherine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for your recommendation. My thinking is the same as you, that a sturdier post may work but we'll get it checked out by an expert. And no, it's not a listed property.

• PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    4 years ago

Katherine

Hello

The diagonal stringer supports the stair itself and it looks like there may be a small timber edge trimming beam at the top running along the edge.

I don't think the posts are structural but do ask a structural engineer to confirm.

The other thing you can check is which way the joists run in the floor at the top of the stair. In an old house the boards run in the opposite direction to the supporting timber joists, so if you lift the carpet you can tell which way the joists run.

If the joists run parallel to the stair the load is not being taken by the stair opening in the floor. If they run perpendicular they may be bearing on the trimming beam and the posts could be structural, even though they don't look it.

Ask a skilled builder or and engineer to take a look.

• Katherine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for the advice and for taking the time to think about my dilemma. I'll check under the carpets on the weekend. Either way, I'll get an expert onto the case.

• PRO
    Studio O+U Architects
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

He/ She will do that anyway :)

been with too many engineers checking for load paths in old buildings

They are like ferrets looking for clues

No worries

• Katherine
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Great image!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.