jonathandb1972

orangeries - compared to an extension

Jonathan

I am looking at a new house, I know I can build a 16sq metre extension for less than £25k
But would an Orangery be much cheaper? I would need it to be about 5x3m internally and it would also have to be insulated sufficiently so as to not need external doors between it and the main house.
Has anyone built one recently or had one of the major window suppliers build one? What did you think? How does the price compare to a solid structure?
Thanks in advance.

• Patrina

Corious to see what Houzzers think. Following your thread as I've been debating this very same thing. We would like to open up the whole back of our property incorporating existing kitchen and dining room. My initial enquiries come in cheaper than an extension.

OnePlan

Also depends on the aspect - all full on south facing might get pretty hot ?

• Ribena Drinker

I know nothing about orangeries vs. extensions, but I will say....what about your beautiful front garden? How could you even consider leaving that?

At No 19

One of our clients had a similar dilemma a few years ago. We opted for a mid way solution. Opened up the kitchen into the new extension, added French doors with side panels on North and South elevations linking front and rear gardens, high level windows on the Eastern elevation and a partial glass roof with solar control film. Pleated blinds were added to all windows which are the best solution for heat control. It met their needs perfectly. See photographs below.

Barton on Sea kitchen and Orangery · More Info

• Gabby

I’d think I’d go for an extension if it’s within budget.
    As others have said, he orangery will get really hot and need blinds and roof blinds which will rapidly add up in cost.

We’re having a roof lantern fitted in our extension and I contacted some lantern roof blinds companies yesterday to get rough quotes and for size of ~2.4x1.3 one company said between £1479 and £2233, and another (without size guide) said £2-5k

You might need that regardless of the orangery vs extension debate of course, however presumably it’d be larger in an orangery. Plus all the blinds.

• Leslie Tamani

Sun coming from overhead can be nice to walk through but can create oppressive glare if you are sitting under it

• Anthony (Beano)

Not sure of the cost sorry but I’d be more basing it on how it would look with your property, I feel they suite a more period style property and the one you posted looks lovely as does the first one I’m posting a pic of but my fear would be that it could look like the second which I feel is more like a converted conservatory.

• Jonathan

Thanks to everyone for their time in replying.
    I am with Beano- I think my taste level demands it is not like a conservatory with fancy bits added and there is obviously a consideration of how to make it work with the new house.
    For this reason I am erring towards something that might well still be classed as an orangery because of a roof lantern but will actually be a modern extension.

• Anthony (Beano)

Either or executed properly will look stunning but I believe that, in both cases the costs could be similar as the devil is in the detail!

The more contemporary one is lovely too!

I think the more contemporary one allows large sliding doors of some sort thus opening up the whole area to the garden, harder to do successfully with the orangery due to its styling! (Ie I’m thinking more sash style windows etc with it)

• Laura Thorndyke

Hi Jonathan - i'm having the same dilemma here - did you decide to move forward with the build? If you went for a lantern what do you think? Thanks, L

• Jonathan

Thanks for asking Laura. I bought a different house in the end so can’t help.

Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.