webuser_125646488

renovate existing sash windows and add secondary glazing v replace

HU-125646488
4 years ago

Should I renovate the original sash windows and add secondary double glazing or should I replace with new wooden windows incorporating double glazing? My priorities are heat preservation and sound insulation from the busy road.

Comments (12)

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

Double glazing is not the only way to improve your windows.
    I say if your road is now all UPVC you likely won’t devalue your property by replacing them. You should check with local agents if people will pay a premium for original style windows- on some roads plastic windows can kill its saleability. You should also check that you are not in a conservation area or if there is any other reason that would stop you going down the replacement route.
    You can get replacement windows that look like originals but contain double glazing.
    Secondary glazing is always unattractive and I can’t think of a reason why you would spend the money in it.
    Renovated windows can have seals added to stop drafts and noise and this is my preferred route.
    You can add window treatments that will keep the heat in- think interlined curtains and blinds.
    You might also consider the cost of a new boiler- my new boiler was a lot less to buy than new windows but my house is warmer as the new boiler is powerful enough for the job and my gas bill has gone down by 30%.

• AMB
    4 years ago

As Jonathan says, secondary glazing will just devalue the property. You can have the original frames retrofitted with double glazing, new wooden windows or new uPVC windows that look like sash windows - Rehau are a good brand. However bear in mind that uPVC is an unsustainable product.

• Milly Moo
    4 years ago
    1. I'll post pictures tomorrow but the Edwardian terrace we bought has secondary glazing and it's something which really bugs me daily and one of the reasons we offered lower than asking price. We too are on a busy road and will remove these as soon as funds allow. I was talkng to the carpenter we have found to fit our skirting and he has said they can be renovated with better glass (not sure about dbl e glazing though) and tha t the weights on the side just need readjusting. Other than that we will go down the upvc dash route. I'm guessing as you already have sash Windows your house is of a period. Personally I would say don't go down the secondary glazing route however until I get mine renovated or replaced I can't comment on th e sound side of things. I'll post pictures tomorrow though of the secondary glazing so you can see what ours looks like.
  • Milly Moo
    4 years ago

Secondary glazing

• Milly Moo
    4 years ago

• Milly Moo
    4 years ago

You can see the old sash behind and how grubby it is. Flys get trapped - cobwebs and it’s just built out far too

• PRO
    Williams-Holden Home Improvements
    4 years ago

You can certainly keep the character with uPVC, they aren't all sparkling white modern don't worry! There are so many different options that you can choose from to ensure they are right for your home and neighbourhood!

Just an example..

• PRO
    The Sash Window Workshop
    4 years ago

Depending on the condition of the windows, if they are timber you may be able to double glaze the existing windows as opposed to replacing them.

Secondary glazing is often preferred in listed buildings, where you may not be allowed to install double glazing.

Where double glazing is allowed, most people will opt for double glazing rather than secondary glazing.

Below are some links you may find useful:

Should I Replace Single Glazed Sash Windows with Double Glazed Sash Windows?

What are the benefits of sash window secondary glazing?

Repair or replace infographic

Regarding the later discussions on the thread about plastic vs. timber, I would definitely recommend choosing timber rather than plastic. Not only are timber windows more environmentally friendly than plastic windows (when using sustainable timber), but if you live in a period home, plastic windows will often devalue the property. We regularly have home buyers asking for budget prices to replace plastic windows with timber windows so they can ask for money off the asking price.

I'm not sure where you are based? If you are based in London or Southern England, and would like someone to have a look at your windows and advise you what would be possible, we would be happy to provide you with a free, no obligation quotation.

The Sash Window Workshop

01344 868 668

www.sashwindow.com

• E D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We have secondary glazing in our bedroom’s Victorian bay window.

It’s Hardly noticeable from inside and virtually invisible from outside.

The fact that there is more space between the original window and the secondary one(s) means it has excellent sound insulation as well.

I actually feel it will enhance saleability of our property.

Certainly not devalue it.

• PRO
    Ventrolla
    4 years ago

We hear this common dilemma a lot!

We'd love to chat through your window project with you. We offer a renovation service that includes draught-proofing your existing window, increasing the thermal efficiency. We can also help with slim double glazing or secondary glazing too. Secondary Glazing is certainly the best in terms of noise reduction, if that is your main concern.

We can provide a few different options/quotes and talk them through with you to determine the right way to go.

We have local teams up and down the country & offer a free survey - https://www.ventrolla.co.uk/ or call 0808 301 9655.

• PRO
    Chameleon Decorators & Windows Restoration
    last year

You also have an option to refurbish and convert your original single-glazed windows to double-glazed ones by fitting new vacuum double glazing into existing sashes.

This gives you the energy efficiency of triple glazing but also preserves the original style of your property.

https://chameleon-decorators.co.uk/blog/sash-window-secondary-glazing/

Here are suggested retrofitting options vs secondary glazing:

Here is the difference between the new double-glazed sash window and the suggested option to fit VIG glass to existing sashes.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.