webuser_16640264

Plantation Shutters - wood or MDF?

HU-16640264
4 years ago

I've had some quotes for plantation shutters for a bay window that I have in my living room. One company does wood shutters only and another does both MDF and wood and charges more for the wood version. Their MDF version is more expensive than the first companies wood version.

Both seem to be good companies.

Can anyone help me who has shutters already - did you get wood or MDF and how hard wearing have they been? Which finish would you recommend?

Many Thanks!

Comments (6)

• HU-16640264
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for coming back to me!

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

I think if the wood version of the first company is cheaper, why not go for them providing you're happy with the other factors such as quality and style etc. I would choose MDF if it were the cheapest, but if you can get wood cheaper... why not?

• Jonathan
    4 years ago

Personally I would choose the MDF version. It won’t warp or split as natural wood can.
    If you do decide to go for wood check what wood is used before committing as obviously some woods are more durable.

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

very good points I would had not thought of Jonathan!

• PRO
    The JOY of Blinds and Shutters
    4 years ago

As the shutters are for a bay window in your living room, either wood or MDF (or even LDF) would be fine. If they were for a room with a lot of humidity, e.g., bathroom, then a special coating would be essential to protect them from moisture.

You also mentioned the “finish.” If by that you meant you wanted to see the actual grain in your shutter, then wood would be the material to go for. Hope that helps! Joy

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.