mareepsasja

What colour for a dark north-facing bedroom?

Maree Persen

Hi there

I have been researching what colour to paint a small-ish third bedroom. It faces north and gets very limited daylight. The people who lived here before us chose this as the only room to paint in a cool-toned pale lilac/blue colour, when the rest of the house is painted in cream tones! (WHY????)

I keep seeing conflicting advice - I know that painting it white is a no-no (too cold, too stark), and I'm a fan of dramatic dark colours but I do hesitate when the rest of our (rented) bungalow is painted in neutral tones. Would dark colours feel like re-entering a womb?! I have a young child coming to stay next year and I think very dark tones would scare her :-) But I'm happy to be convinced otherwise.

Can anybody recommend a warm grey?

Some sites say to use warm tones (eg peach / cinnamon) but others - quite rightly, I feel - say that such colours can be very hard to live with.

Just found another site that said to use an off-white with a small amount of green in it... to my mind, that would be so wrong!

All advice gratefully accepted...

• tamp75

I think a soft green is very calming for a bedroom. Lots of options to choose from - more along the sage / moss colourway rather than a mint which would be cold.

Maree Persen thanked tamp75
  • minipie

We found choosing colours for a N facing bedroom the hardest! The colours that looked best in there were beigey - for example Joa’s white by Farrow & Ball. The trouble is I don’t really like those colours! In the end we chose Setting Plaster which I dislike in S facing rooms (too peachy) but looks nice in N facing as it gets a more greyed tone.

The other options that looked good were yellow based greens (not bluey greens) such as Vert de Terre, strong warm yellows like Sudbury Yellow (but that’s a bit dominant) or deep warm blues like Hague Blue.

Maree Persen thanked minipie
  • Maree Persen

Thanks @tamp75 and @minipie - I will definitely go out and get some sample pots to test your recommendations. So great to have advice from real people with the same issues!

colourhappy
    last modified: 2 years ago

I don't understand what 'would be hard to live with' means to be honest. I also agree that advice on this subject is totally contradictory, which doesn't help. The colour of light in a North facing room is quite blue, so anything like a pale grey with a blue tinge will look even bluer. Some people like that, but I personally wouldn't, I find cold rooms depressing. If you want a neutral, then you go across the wheel and select one that is a bit warmer and has some red or orange in and that will create a colour that when combined with the blue light is a neutral. Joa's White, Dimity or colours like that, will look quite neutral in a North facing room. Another option is to go for a more saturated colour such as a yellow, as this can break through the greyness. If you go for a pale colour, then anything like a creamy green could look sickly, so a more definite green would work. If you go for a pale neutral then red based ones will help. I tried about twenty in my kitchen and drove myself nuts! 'Joanna' by Little Greene is a brilliant neutral with a tinge of red in it, that may be worth a look.

Maree Persen thanked colourhappy
  • Sarah U-S

We had similar dilemmas but then stumbled on f&b James White. It’s an odd one to describe - has a slight limey tinge to it, but not at all cold. We’re now several years in and I still love it. It’s light, calm and goes with everything. It’s a colour that f&b used to recommend for north facing rooms.

• Nicola Thomson

Hi colour happy, I just picked up a sample of joanna and slaked lime deep to match pleat in a north facing lounge. Did you opt for Joanna? Any thoughts if slaked line deep would be too dark? Cheers, Nic

colourhappy

Joanna is a good colour, but there's a Fired Earth colour called Wax Myrtle which is similar to Joanna but a tinge warmer. I've only recently discovered it and have it in my tricky dining room. It works well with blues.

Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.