julie_caughey89

Ugly duckling mid transformation

Julie C
16 July, 2019
last modified: 16 July, 2019

Hello! So we went with f&b All white - it looks good - we need to choose a colour to replace the brown - want to go with coastal contemporary- thinking plummet or lamp room gray or hardwick white or pigeon - are we on the right lines? Which do you prefer?

also should we go for a darker colour on the door? Garage door?

Thanks so much - I am rubbish at this!!

• Dee Cee

I love the colour you have on the top right sample. Either that or white :)

Julie C thanked Dee Cee
  • carocat24

And definitely go stronger colour on the front door

• Maths Wife

I like both of the stronger colours especially bottom right. I think the doors, garage etc should all match for continuity.

Julie C thanked Maths Wife
  • Carolina

I think I recognise that house :-) Nice colour for the render part! Of the swatches, the top right seems to work with the brick. I like that one.

Julie C thanked Carolina
  • Julie C

Hi Carolina - yes, I posted prrviously. I’m useless with Houzz and couldn’t find my previous post ☺️ - so this is the off white that we had talked about.

• Julie C

These photos are maybe better since the sun isn’t so strong

• rinq

Hardwick (with some seablue/turquoise accents) or pigeon.

Minnie & Grouse Interiors

We love the top right darker colour gives great contrast against the wood and immediately brings the exterior up to date.

Julie C thanked Minnie & Grouse Interiors
  • Julie C

Hmm I can’t seem to add photos in comments

• Julie C

Okay so we have all white all over now and some grey primer on the brown bits. Starting to see how it could be....

• Julie C

What colour do you prefer now?

• Jules Mc

I like the primer colour! I'd go for the one closest to that . Looking really good.

• Maths Wife

I like the one far left, on my screen it looks like it has a slight green tinge.

• Julie C

Mathswife the far left is pigeon. I think it has a green-ness too but on the farrow and ball faceboyok page they refer to it as blue grey

• Julie C

Jules - my husband thinks the shade of primer lacks depth or warmth and is just a bit “flat” - does that make sense? I’m panicking because the painter will be doing it on Tuesday so I need to decide over the weekend and buy it on Monday

• Maths Wife

The thing is with all paint colours, they look completely different in situ in your house, outside your house to someone else's house. So if that't the colour you like for your situation, it's irrelevant what the description says. We've tried loads in our house, and invariably end up with completely different to one that we thought would work.

You've done the right thing, you've got your testers and hung them up, now just go for one you like the most.

Going by what you've hung up, i'd go for the pigeon, as it's a bit warmer and will suit a coastal garden area.

Julie C thanked Maths Wife
  • Jules Mc

Yes makes sense Julie. In that case I think the two with most depth are the ones on the left. Personally I'd go for the 2nd left. Although I usually like greenish tints, I think the far left looks a little sludgy. I liked the primer colour because it looked fresh and seasidey (??!)

• rinq

There is some tan in your brick, any color to complement that? Not flat grey, but some brown in it? Still liking the Pigeon too.

• Sonia

I think panelling, whether indoors or outdoors looks wonderful in green, so Pigeon for me, but I think all your samples are nice and will look good. If you go for grey, I think something a bit darker than your primer coat? Manor House Gray looks nice. Here’s some random choices I thought would look good! Bit of a mish mash I’m afraid.

French Gray and Manor House Gray

Inchyra Blue

Moles Breath

Julie C thanked Sonia
  • Julie C

It has really amazed me how different colours are when outside - so much lighter! And also the variation when in masonry or other paints too. This is still the undercoat - rain has stopped play!! - but what do you think for the top bit? White or grey?

• Julie C

Having technical problems uploading the photos