lakhvinder_matharu77

mid century upcycled chairs and varnish / stain colour

Lakhvinder Matharu
8 July, 2019

Hi , im having a pair of mid century chairs upcycled and re-upholstered. I wondered if anyone could please recommend a varnish colour. The chairs are very similar to the one in picture attached . I like the colour of tje stain. Any ideas on what it is please?

• Resh

That looks like simple varnished mahogany, like lots of 60's G Plan furniture?

• Kathy

It was probably teak as lots of 70s furniture was made from this wood. I remember it well!

• E D

Yes 60s and 70s wooden furniture was often, but not exclusively teak.

The chairs in the photo look lighter than teak to me.

GPlan and other makers often used a veneer though.

You could perhaps use a teak (colour) oil, stain or varnish if you like that darker colour.

• Beano

If they are teak I can show you what danish oil does after about 6 coats! It will be two posts as pics are on separate tablets

Without stain, raw teak

• Beano

Stained with danish oil