anthony_warrington30

Extension option for 3-bed semi

Hi,

We're looking to put an offer in on a 3-bed semi and one of the reasons we'd go for it is the potential to extend. The aim would be to add a bedroom and reconfigure the space, but we're having trouble visualising what we would do and what would be possible.

The house details, floor plans etc, are here . Floor plans for easier access:

Our thinking (without any knowledge of if this is possible or the cost) is a two-storey rear extension reaching out as far as the kitchen, tacking on a bedroom, increasing the size of the bathroom and maybe adding some storage space . I think this would create a few issues/questions:

1. Understanding that redo the kitchen and bathroom, would the cost of this be too absurd to consider thinking any more about this?

2. We'd have to reconfigure the upstairs to add a corridor to the new bedroom/bathroom. Do you think that's possible without moving wall between bedroom two and the bathroom? If not, how big a job is it to move the walls?

3. I think given building regs/planning permission, a two-storey extension would have to keep the same roof pitch when we extend, and the extension might not be able to reach as far as the current kitchen (I think two-storey extensions can only go 3m from original rear wall). Do you know if this is the case or is there a way around this (like a flat roof)? Otherwise we think the roof slope might leave us with a roof half way down the bedroom.

Thanks for your help, any comments/questions/thoughts appreciated.

Comments (5)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.