maggie_xiaof

Juniper nana turning brown, help!

Maggie Fang
4 years ago

Hi all i have transplanted two juniper nana month ago. They were partly brown when I planted and seem getting worse afterwards. Please kindly advise the reason and possible treatment. Thanks so much!

Comments (5)

• Maggie Fang
    Original Author
    4 years ago

More pictures for your information

• Ribena Drinker
    4 years ago

Just a thought, do you have any cats around where you live? It could be a result of male cats spraying on it.

Maggie Fang thanked Ribena Drinker
  • rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Were the junipers in a waterlogged position previously? Did you notice the roots when you replanted them, were they damp and a bit squishy? Just thinking the possible cause is root rot. Make sure they have plenty of drainage in the soil. There are other forms of fungal disease but the best treatment is to cut the areas affected out with disinfected shears.

Maggie Fang thanked rachelmidlands
  • Maggie Fang
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Thanks for the answers. They were partly brown when we bought them. I thought it was normal and will gradually recover after we transplant. I cut off some dead branches as shown in the picture. Should i keep pruning all the branches with brown needles? In addition, should i apply some fungicide? Thanks so much

• rachelmidlands
    4 years ago

Hard to tell from the photo but is there fresh growth on top of some the brown bits. If so that’s then that’s fine and you can leave it as they’re finding their own way of recovering. If there are brown bits without any fresh growth then snip these off. Leave them for a few months before deciding if they need a fungicide but I think they should recover on their own. Quite likely they’ve been sitting in damp conditions in the garden centre, not surprising considering the wet weather we’ve been having (assuming you’re in the uk that is).

Maggie Fang thanked rachelmidlands
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.