tclayson

Need kitchen advice fitting dishwasher and using space better please!

tclayson
4 years ago

We have a reasonable sized kitchen. It runs the width of our house, so it is quite wide, but it doesn't have much depth, so it's a wide rectangle. There is an extension that runs just over half the width of the house (on the external wall, obviously), and the door into the kitchen from the living room is in the center of the other long wall.

Because of this we have a horseshoe-shaped kitchen in the other side to the extension (I have attached a picture of the current layout).

This causes 2 issues that we would like to rectify:

Firstly, the kitchen is half the size of the available space and we don't feel like the space is being used very well. We use the extension, which has a floor half a foot lower than the kitchen floor, as the dining room, so at the moment the half of the kitchen which is not being used is just dead space, and the half that has our kitchen units in it is quite cramped, there isn't much surface space, and it's hard to navigate around with both of us in the kitchen.

The other issue is that we want to fit in a dishwasher in somewhere. There is no space to fit a dishwasher in the current layout, so we need to find some extra room somewhere.

We have managed to come up with a new layout which utilises the dead space in the kitchen, by moving the oven, fridge freezer and hob over to the dead space, and putting a dish washer in the space vacated by the oven. This is the best we could come up with, but now it feels like the kitchen is separated in two, with the cooking/food prep/food storage part of the kitchen being the smaller part of the whole kitchen, and making what already exists seem a bit pointless (I think we would spend more time in the cooking side of the kitchen cooking and preparing food, rather than spending any time in the existing bit of the kitchen which would just be for washing and dishwasher etc). See plan:

So we are looking for any advice you could potentially give us please. It is hard to get water/gas/electricity etc over to the other side of the kitchen, so we're trying to keep that stuff to a minimum if possible.

Please let me know if we've made the best of a bad situation, or if you've seen awkward rooms like this before and have any advice for making it feel less awkward?

Thanks!

Thomas

Comments (7)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.