jonathon_charles_garden_design

Country garden and spa, before and after. 4th year since design

East Sussex country garden and spa. Now in its fourth year and flourishing.

Comments (11)

• R Hughes
    4 years ago

What a lovely garden, hard to believe it’s only 4 years old. I would be interested in the design brief and a general idea of the budget? If the dreaded box caterpillar strikes and the box can’t be saved, what alternative plants would you suggest?

• PRO
    Jonathon Charles Garden Design
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi there,

The brief was broad- they approached me due to previous work. That said, it’s an area of outstanding natural beauty, so the character of the garden had to work with the surroundings. They wanted a studio and a generous lawn. Paths were designed to be generous to allow for a mobility scooter.

Budget: £50,000

So far, so good re box caterpillar. However, Ilex crenata seem to be a resistant alternative.

• R Hughes
    4 years ago

Thanks for the information, really interesting.

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Wow...that’s a lot but have to say, that looks superb!

• PRO
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s a very big garden with a phenomenal amount of planting. That said, there’s no reason why you can’t take elements of the design and make them work for far less. I can imagine this on a smaller scale. :)

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Lol...I’ve half an acre for a back garden, I’m prob looking at 100k to get it looking tile this! As said I can see the work that has went into this garden and would like to have the time and money to do something like this to mine, as I love forestry.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

I’m not normally a fan of the formality of box, but the way it has been mixed with such naturalistic planting really works. Beautiful garden.

• PRO
    Hampstead Design Hub
    4 years ago

Hi there! Great project and very and really impressive work. Thank you for sharing with Houzz community.

• PRO
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you for your kind comments, much appreciated.

• Michelle Werry
    4 years ago

Wow. It looks amazing. Great job!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.