jonathon_charles_garden_design

Country garden and spa, before and after. 4th year since design

East Sussex country garden and spa. Now in its fourth year and flourishing.

• R Hughes

What a lovely garden, hard to believe it’s only 4 years old. I would be interested in the design brief and a general idea of the budget? If the dreaded box caterpillar strikes and the box can’t be saved, what alternative plants would you suggest?

Jonathon Charles Garden Design

Hi there,

The brief was broad- they approached me due to previous work. That said, it’s an area of outstanding natural beauty, so the character of the garden had to work with the surroundings. They wanted a studio and a generous lawn. Paths were designed to be generous to allow for a mobility scooter.

Budget: £50,000

So far, so good re box caterpillar. However, Ilex crenata seem to be a resistant alternative.

• R Hughes

Thanks for the information, really interesting.

• E D

Ouch... £50k.

That would exclude me.

And perhaps one or two others here :-)

• Beano

Wow...that’s a lot but have to say, that looks superb!

Jonathon Charles Garden Design

It’s a very big garden with a phenomenal amount of planting. That said, there’s no reason why you can’t take elements of the design and make them work for far less. I can imagine this on a smaller scale. :)

• Beano

Lol...I’ve half an acre for a back garden, I’m prob looking at 100k to get it looking tile this! As said I can see the work that has went into this garden and would like to have the time and money to do something like this to mine, as I love forestry.

• Sonia

I’m not normally a fan of the formality of box, but the way it has been mixed with such naturalistic planting really works. Beautiful garden.

Hampstead Design Hub

Hi there! Great project and very and really impressive work. Thank you for sharing with Houzz community.

Jonathon Charles Garden Design

Thank you for your kind comments, much appreciated.

• blade40

Wow. It looks amazing. Great job!