jonathon_charles_garden_design

Country garden and spa, before and after. 4th year since design

East Sussex country garden and spa. Now in its fourth year and flourishing.

Comments (11)

• R Hughes

What a lovely garden, hard to believe it’s only 4 years old. I would be interested in the design brief and a general idea of the budget? If the dreaded box caterpillar strikes and the box can’t be saved, what alternative plants would you suggest?

• PRO
    Jonathon Charles Garden Design

Hi there,

The brief was broad- they approached me due to previous work. That said, it’s an area of outstanding natural beauty, so the character of the garden had to work with the surroundings. They wanted a studio and a generous lawn. Paths were designed to be generous to allow for a mobility scooter.

Budget: £50,000

So far, so good re box caterpillar. However, Ilex crenata seem to be a resistant alternative.

• R Hughes

Thanks for the information, really interesting.

• E D

Ouch... £50k.

That would exclude me.

And perhaps one or two others here :-)

• Beano

Wow...that’s a lot but have to say, that looks superb!

• PRO

It’s a very big garden with a phenomenal amount of planting. That said, there’s no reason why you can’t take elements of the design and make them work for far less. I can imagine this on a smaller scale. :)

• Beano

Lol...I’ve half an acre for a back garden, I’m prob looking at 100k to get it looking tile this! As said I can see the work that has went into this garden and would like to have the time and money to do something like this to mine, as I love forestry.

• Sonia

I’m not normally a fan of the formality of box, but the way it has been mixed with such naturalistic planting really works. Beautiful garden.

• PRO
    Hampstead Design Hub

Hi there! Great project and very and really impressive work. Thank you for sharing with Houzz community.

• PRO

Thank you for your kind comments, much appreciated.

• blade40

Wow. It looks amazing. Great job!

Ireland
Tailor my experience using cookies

By continuing to browse this site or use this app, I agree the Houzz group may use cookies and similar technologies to improve its products and services, serve me relevant content and to personalise my experience. Learn more.