jayne_hunt87

Blank Canvas, need some help with garden design and path

J C
4 years ago

I have a blank canvas and although we are getting there (Just had grass rotavated, levelled and re-seeded) we need a bit of help.

The garden used to be quite private and not over looked until next door took down some trees, so I need some screening on the right hand side from our white wall until their garden shed at least.

I also want some kind of planting down the sides, and a path, but to be honest want to keep the majority of the garden as grass, so a discrete path from the front to the back of the garden is needed (this needs to be off to the left hand side) and a small amount of planting in beds to the left and right and maybe some behind the white walls going across. It's a bit bland at the moment so not sure where to start. I'd like a modern contemporary look, but also like blues, white's, colour.

A local gardener gave me some tips below as to what would work in the soil we have locally, and I also have some time from a Gardener to do some planting as my mum paid for 4 hours worth, but what I don't have is an idea of what to buy and what to put where, or idea/s of how it can look.

Can anyone help or offer some suggestions? Just want my garden to be beautiful and easy to maintain all year round with some colour, nice fragrance, and not be over looked.

Thank you

The following plants do well around here; we (or others in the area) have grown them successfully.

Plants with perfumed flowers - deciduous

Clematis Montana

Winter Honeysuckle Fragrantissima

Winter Sweet Chimonanthus Praecox

Ribes Odoratum

Lilacs (Syringa)

Buddleia

Magnolia Wilsonii

Honeysuckle climbers

Viburnum Burkwoodii
Geranium Macrorrhizum

Longiflorum Lilies (bulbs)

Hyacinths (bulbs)

Night Scented Stocks (matthiola bicornus - annual)

Sweet Peas - annual

Cheiranthus Cheiri (Wallflower) - biannual

Plants with perfumed flowers - evergreen
Daphne Odora
Elaeagnus Ebbinger
Christmas Box (Sarcococca Hookeriana)
Mahonia
Choisya Ternata
Trachelospermum Jasminoides
Osmanthus Burkwoodii
Melissa Officinalis (lemon balm)

Dianthus

Viola cornuta

Itea Ilicifolia (scented catkins)

Plants with scented leaves - deciduous
Aloysia Triphylla (lemon viburnum)

Plants with scented leaves - evergreen
Lavenders
Eucalyptus
Rosemary
Other suggestions
Prunus trees/shrubs
Flowering cherry - beautiful blossom in spring
Garrya James Roof - large catkins in autumn/winter
Hardy Cyclamen

As a general rule anything that likes alkaline soil (chalky/lime soil) should do ok around here. Best to check individual varieties. For example, there are some lilies that only like acid soil (like Oriental lilies).

Comments (7)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.