webuser_187211677

Tiling a windowsill with hexagonal tiles

HU-187211677
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi, we are doing a bathroom Reno and the tiler has said he cannot do the windowsill out in our hexagonal tiles as the pattern wont match up. I’m struggling to understand why but he was quite adamant, though he reluctantly said he would try to do the cut out boxes in the shower in the same tile which is surely the same thing. Can anyone clarify why this wouldn’t be possible? I should say the tiles are unusually thick, 15mm porcelain that looks like concrete. Attached a pic of the tiles, we have a normal large-ish rectangular windowsill. Also I don’t think there’s a trim i like so can I just go trim free? Thank you!

Comments (13)

• Ribena Drinker
    4 years ago

I think it's probably a case of him not wanting to rather than it not being possible.

• HU-187211677
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think so too, but he was adamant the patterns wouldn’t line up. I’ve tried to attach the pic loads of times, will try again here to show the pattern!!

• rinked
    4 years ago

Find a large tile that matches, or even a composite (or solid white if that's the window frame color). Will look soooooo much better than a blotched hex pattern ;)

• HU-187211677
    Original Author
    4 years ago

so you think it would be botched and is not possible line it up??

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago

I think the poor tiler would have lots of cut outs to fill in the gaps as the tiles do not have a straight edge. I agree with rinq, a solid complimenting colour would actually look better.

• HU-187211677
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think maybe you’re right though I don’t have time to find a matching tile so will just go for a smooth wall (?) in matching pink colour to make it as inconspicuous as possible, with a wood window sil I guess. I didn’t really want a wood windowsil as I don’t like how easily the marks show up from tooth paste etc. Is there an alternative to wood that’s a bit more trendy? Concrete look or something....?

• Maths Wife
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Depending on the size of the window, it may be possible to get one long tile and cut to fit, as rinq suggests, so no grout, just a lovely plain surface. Alternatives would be off cuts of any stone, ceramic work top. I would not use a pink, i'd go for off white etc to tone in, trying to match another pink will probably end up clashing with the hex tile.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Stone or concrete is a very nice alternative to a wooden window sill, I just suggested wood as it’s a popular choice. i agree white, or marble, would be a very elegant solution.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

What about installing a white back painted glass or a plain white corian window sill? Both options look fresh, contemporary and would not interfere with the busy hexagonal pattern of the tiles. Both finishes are perfect for bathrooms, waterproof, easy to clean and have this cool spa feel to it.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 years ago

The only way in which a tiler could have the pattern matching is for a whole tile to be cut with one part on the window cill top, another on the edge and a part on the underside and the rest on the wall. For this to be carried out accurately, a high quality tile cutter would be needed. If a Client insisted on this then I would be using a commercial water cutter, which are workshop based and far too big for sites.

The issue then would be the external corners and you deciding how these are to be finished; i.e., grout (top or edge), an aluminium, powder coated aluminium or stainless steel trim, or a porcelain edge section from the tile manufacturer.

The level of skill required is very high and frankly speaking the edge details are what is going to spoil it as it is not possible to have mitred edges on the external corners.

In summary, if I were you, I would go with Forzaitalia's suggestion for a stone or marble window cill that is sympathetic to the tile colour, or a complete contract matching perhaps something else in the bathroom.

Best of luck with your project.

• PRO
    Exacting Standard Ltd
    4 years ago

I have used white back painted toughened glass on a windowsill a few times and it looks really good. Easy to clean as well. If you are using small tiles there is a lot of grout and it will get dirty from constant use as you suggested.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.