webuser_720398823

Crepe Myrtle - can I cut the trunk?

Eileen Beltz
4 years ago

I don't know which variety we have. We have owned this property one year. I was so happy to know I had a Crepe Myrtle!

This tree is mature, and was let to overgrowth, and was filled with Spanish Moss, which we removed, as much as possible last year. It has powdery mildew this year. I have been treating it by sprinkling corn meal on the roots, on the ground, watering it in. Spraying a solution of baking soda, veg oil, and dish soap in water on the leaves I can reach.

The Problem:

There is powdery mildew above where I can't reach -- it's about 10 ft tall. CAN THOSE AREAS ABOVE -- BE CUT OFF NOW, AS I WRITE -- MAY 22, 2019? The tree was pruned in Feb as advised. I keep taking branches off if the mildew is on them. And spraying what is looking green and good with the home-made solution. I started this treatment May 14, so I've done it twice. Another tree with Spanish Moss on it towers over it. :(

Top Photo - 2/19 Bottom Photo - 5/19 Middle Photo - 6/22/18

email -- ebeltz77@fastmail.fm Thank you for your attention.

Comments (4)

• Sonia
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I would go on the RHS website www.rhs.co.uk they have a wealth of information about all the different forms of mildew, and how to control it. They give natural methods and chemical methods. Here’s a short excerpt of their advice, but there’s much more on their site. My brother (who I used to garden for) had sooty mould on a shrub and it just got worse, it was horrible. In the end I had to remove the shrub. I refuse to use chemicals so that wasn’t an option. Hope you get it sorted soon.

• temple274
    4 years ago

Looks as though you are in the southern US?
    Do you mean can you cut the trunk back more than you have already? As you see they start to regrow easily. I would try by cutting one section back as far as you want, give it a year to see if it regrows satisfactorily and then if you’re happy with how it does then to do the lot the next year, or if it seemed too drastic, do over two years so the tree doesn’t get too much of a shock.
    I’ve never grown one myself as I’m in the United Kingdom but it’s very common in the south of France where as street trees they are pollarded tightly every year. Drastic, but it works. However the trees are not as large as yours.
    Can’t help with your mildew problem though.

Eileen Beltz thanked temple274
  • Eileen Beltz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, temple 274 this tree is in central fl. And Yes, I did mean can I cut the trunk back more than we have already. Thank you for your advice, to cut one section back and see what happens. Since the poor tree is already in such stress with the mildew problem.

• Eileen Beltz
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you forzaitalia, I use the natural methods to treat plants as well.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.