webuser_388531447

My latest decluttering challenge.

HU-388531447
4 years ago

Spare room of a lovely lady who wants to reuse the room as a hobby / craft room. Before, there is no floor space.... yet !

Comments (20)

• E D
    4 years ago

And after?...

:)

• HU-388531447
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    'after' photos are coming soon as still finishing off but very excited to show finished result ! Have been working very hard with client to get room reorganised and redesigned.
  • Daisy England
    4 years ago

I can’t believe people live in such a clutter. Pure laziness IMO.

• Patrina
    4 years ago
    At what point does somene just decide stuff it my house is now a rubbish dump?
  • Sam Potter
    4 years ago
    Hmmm. Has this client agreed to have these photos shared online? Given the sometimes personal nature of decluttering services, and the occasional vulnerability of clients, I'm surprised to see this here, particularly without any 'after' shots.
  • E D
    4 years ago

Yes, excessive hoarding is often the result of trauma.

Sensitivity is an important tool in offering help.

• Ribena Drinker
    4 years ago

Daisy England perhaps we shouldn't rush to judgement or comment as we don't know the circumstances of the client. They could be disabled, elderly, recently bereaved, downsized and found themselves unable to sort things out.

There could be a whole host of reasons why this person/ these people need help decluttering. Incapacity and disability (I notice there's a rolllator/walker in the middle of the confusion) is quite a common reason as to why rooms get cluttered and disorganised.

I know that since I've had mobility problems, there's a lot of things I'm no longer capable of doing and things aren't always as orderly as I would have kept them previously. It's frustrating beyond measure to be unable to do it yourself anymore and having to rely on others to do what you can't, so sometimes, as hard as it is, you just have to live with things in disarray.

• HU-388531447
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thank you Ribena drinker for your comments. The client does not mind the photos being shown as she hopes if it helps others who need such support and assistance it will show how there are services available who are there to help, who will not judge, or shame but offer support and guidance. Websites only showing glossy perfect images of homes is not the reality and we should keep that in mind.
  • Sonia
    4 years ago

I recently read a book where the main character started hoarding after her husband died. It was her way of holding on to all her memories of life before he passed on. Hoarding has now been classified as a mental illness, and certainly not a sign of laziness. It can be overcome with the right help.

• Daisy England
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There is hoarding and untidiness. As said before there’s no point whatsoever is posting before without after images. I’m fully aware of mental illness but what I don't like Is people who use this title when it’s not relevant.

• HU-388531447
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thank you for your opinion. I posted the BEFORE pictures as that afternoon was due to finish the project but due to ill health of the client had to postpone the final appointment and AFTER photos, I did state that they would follow soon but this has obviously caused much upset for which I apologise greatly, how dare my client get ill, I can only apologise once again for being so stupid to show photos of the before without the after. I mistake I will not make again, so thank you.
  • E D
    4 years ago

Although I can understand you're somewhat upset, Tidy, I hope you show more patience with your clients than you have with some of us here. :-D

• pjdklm
    4 years ago
    Tidy- I see a room that was once lovingly decorated with no less than 2 wallpapers and a border, and where efforts have been made in the past to organise it with storage furniture, plastic crates, etc. The fact she wants to turn it into a craft room rather than a guest room suggests it’s a “spare” spare room, and thus eventually became a bit of a dumping ground. I call mine my basement, and where as it’s organised enough to be very useful to me, I’d loathe for anyone else to see it. Kudos to your client for being willing to share her story.

I’m looking forward to seeing the after pictures and wish your client a speedy recovery and happy crafting.
  • HU-388531447
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Thank you for your comment, it was once a lovely room, but due to times of sadness did become what we see. However, she has been amazing in making what she finds difficult choices that yes some people could easily make and take for granted, to change the space and return it to not just a usable room, but a room that brings joy to be in. I think people like this should be applauded for embracing positive changes and not instantly judged.
  • PRO
    Hampstead Design Hub
    4 years ago

Hi there! You have a great challenge ahead of you!)) The main thing is not to start to go thru of all that and get rid of it in one go. Best of luck!

• Milly Moo
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Tidy- Im interested in seeing the after when its ready. Reminds me of a friend recently that everyone chipped in for a day to sort out a room for them, as they were not able to do so. I hope your client will be left feeling really positive.

• Jane Fitzgerald
    3 years ago

I suffer from complex PTSD and have a variety of pain related disabilities and find my home to be overwhelming cluttered. I’d have to agree that there is usually a very good reason why people get to this point. My home was the most organised before this and everyone commented on just how organised it was. Now I could cry when I see what it has become 😓

• Ribena Drinker
    3 years ago

Jane Fitzgerald, don't despair and try not to let it upset you, it will seem overwhelming, especially if you've been used to some sort of organisation and order.

Don't look at the whole scene, just focus on a small part at a time. When you look at it all in one go, it can feel like it's an insurmountable problem, so just try to tackle tiny little bits at a time, when you feel able. Even if you only manage to throw away one thing and organise a few others, that's a step forward and will encourage you to continue.

Even when you're not physically doing anything, try to think about how best to organise things and what you want to achieve - don't dwell on the task itself, but what will help you do it.

If you need assistance, there are people who can help and advise, use Google to search for people in your area, who can offer practical assistance. Don't ever feel that the situation is too big a problem to change.

Good luck with it all.

• Jane Fitzgerald
    3 years ago

Thank you 😊

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.