webuser_21289340

Kitchen paint colours - we need help!!

Coldwater
4 years ago

So I've posted at the end of one of my previous posts but had no replies :( so hoping a new post will do it! You've all got great ideas so would love love love to hear your ideas and suggestions!

We're getting the kitchen spray painted soon and are stuck with what colours/shades to go for and if what we would like would work.

So we're thinking of a different island colour on the cupboards and wondering if darker would look ok. Perhaps downpipe as shown picture 4. Then all other cupboards a grey. However we are unsure what shade would work well. Any suggestions please? What do you think?

We have Dulux Egyptian Cotton on the walls and will be painting the red wall Inchya Blue. The shelves on the right are being replaced with similar to picture five. We have the tiles in picture three behind the hob which we don't want to change. Will it be too much grey? The first two pictures are of the kitchen as it is now.

We like a contemporary look. The house is a old farmhouse with low ceilings and can be quite dark in the summer (though we get sunshine flooding in early morning and in the winter) but it has a modern contemporary feel so don't want it a farmhouse style if that makes sense!

Thanks for your help!!!

Comments (31)

• PRO
    Louise Booyens Interiors
    4 years ago

You have a gorgeous kitchen and I love your choice of Inchya blue for that wall. You could consider having the cupboard doors also in Inchya blue as in this image. Are you changing the wood floor to stone as in the 3d/4th photo?

• E D
    4 years ago

I do remember seeing your kitchen L B, did you get the advice here you wanted?

• Coldwater
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Unfortunately didn't get much response, so any ideas are still welcome!
  • Coldwater
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    interesting to see the Inchya Blue cupboard photo as I was just thinking about that today. Seeing that though, I'm not so sure. The floor will be kept as it is now due to budget.
  • PRO
    Weaver Interiors
    4 years ago

LB the Inchya Blue cupboards will work well - if you lighten the lower cupboards, due to the lack of light in the room. The blinds would have worked better if they fell from the ceiling and didn't overstretch the architraves. I can see why they are not in the reveal, due to decorative items on the window sills, but the blinds really mess up the scheme. As for the vent, something modern and copper with the blue would be good, then this can be repeated as the sink and tap fittings - maybe one day! It is nice to have extras to dream about and save up for. But, don't have a square sink - horrid to try to clean.

That modernish kitchen pictured is already out-of-date as far as overall schemes are concerned, we are practically eliminating hinged cupboard doors now and turning them into drawers instead for base cupboards; these can be super wide and extend fully enabling one to access the back recesses of the cupboard. Have a look at the Blum website for thoughts on where items are stored and how - mindblowing. Also inserting timber-framed shelves for recipe books, decorative mugs etc. breaks the monotony of solid colour and allows a personal expression.

AND don't fall into the 3 lights in a row syndrome, a single long skinny fitting is mor up-to-the-minute.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

How about going for a kitchen unit colour in a warm greige as per your lovely Moroccan style tiles? Something like Skimming Stone. Then cover the red in Inchyra Blue and the island in the same. I think all dark unit doors in a darkish room would be depressing personally. It then gives you more scope to repaint the walls in the future when you fancy a change.

• Coldwater
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    We definitely do not want to have all cupboards dark and are keen on a light grey on the. wall cupboards (high and low). I think it's the island colour which is causing the difficulties as it has the black worktop. Although I love the inchrya on the walls, not sure if I'd get bored of it on the island and not easy to change. Would a more natural colour be better. What are your thoughts for the downpipe would this work with the other colours or be too dark?

The blinds were quickly put up when we moved in. I've never felt they looked right. Would a pattern work? We have geometric curtains on the opposite side of the room where the dining table is. Would this be too much?

I love copper accessories. We've however bought a black tap already so may continue the theme with the door handles. Our window handles and door handles are black throughout the rest of the house. Although happy to hear of alternative suggestions! And where is best to buy handles. no idea where to start!

Thanks for all your comments so far!!
  • Sonia
    4 years ago

Like you, I love Inchyra Blue, and am trying to find a place in my little house where I can put it on the walls! I think it would still work with the black worktop if the other units are going to be pale, in fact it will be stunning. Downpipe is a lovely colour too, but I’m not sure I would mix it with Inchyra? We have an amazing person on here called Colourhappy who is a colour guru, and she often suggests colours that aren’t ”on trend” but stunning. I hope she’s reading this and can advise! As to blinds, if you want to create a more modern look then wooden slatted blinds in an off white would freshen the look. I cant quite see what you’ve got - wooden slatted blinds lol?!

• Coldwater
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    I'm terrible with trying to imagine what colours would work together! This is going to be costly so want to get it right and something we're not going to want to change in a year or so!!

It's a grey roller blind at the moment. I do like a slated blind but find they cover up a chunk of the window. We went with a roller so we maximise the light that comes in.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

My suggestion would be to paint the walls, including the red wall - in EC - paint the wall units in either EC ( to blend away ) or bright white ( to be prominent ) and then paint the base cabinetry all in Inchrya blue ( or was it Stiffkey ? I’m on the app so can’t scroll back to check !) but you get my drift ! This will give you an airy feel while still injecting a fab amount of the blue.

• Sonia
    4 years ago
    It is going to be stunning. It’s a lovely kitchen already so I wish you lots of luck with your choices.
  • Lisa D
    4 years ago
    I think you have a lovely kitchen, seen some of your previous posts. I think your ideas sound good - I’d just be sure to choose a grey that complements the rich wood worktop. I think a dark blue island will look nice with the granite worktop, as would a darker grey colour. I’m not sure about painting the window wall a dark colour, I think it darkens the room currently. I’d paint it all a pale colour and do the cupboards, before deciding whether to go with a feature wall.
  • Coldwater
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    Haven't even considered making sure the worktop doesn't clash with the cupboard colour!! Thank you for that tip!

The Inchyra blue is going up on the wall today. I know you guys have said it would make the room dark, but we love it so far!

Just to get the cupboard colour right now. What are your thoughts on Cornforth white or Dimpse for the non island cupboards? (Farrow and Balls website says Dimpse works well with downpipe)
  • Sonia
    4 years ago

I really like Cornforth white. It’s a warm but clean colour which will go with so many colours. This picture is Cornforth White units with a Hague Blue island, but I think many colours go with Cornforth including Railings, Downpipe, Inchyra etc. It’s a wonderful neutral.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    4 years ago

I think dark wall would look good. I hope it would not make darker kitchen.

• PRO
    4 years ago

I am afraid would be too dark with colors you like.

• PRO
    4 years ago

May be to leave upper cabinets as the are? Nice wood look and match to counter top.

• PRO
    4 years ago

You can go with the same color, just different tones. Light on upper cabinets, medium on base and dark for an island.

• Lisa D
    4 years ago
    I definitely prefer the colours of the middle set of pictures. I think perhaps the wooden cooker hood looks out of place painted... maybe this could come out and be replaced with a more modern style? A cashmere or stone colour might complement the worktop, but is it really a big enough change?
  • Coldwater
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I'm so sorry, but I've only just seen your posts and all your hard work with the mock ups!!! I didn't get notified. Thank you so much this is so helpful!!!

Seeing the Photoshop mocks ups makes us realise we don't want to go two tone on the edge cabinets and like the lighter grey. Unfortunately the job hood needs to stay as we can't get it out. We would love to have a modern one added, it's just not doable without taking all the units out.

We have painted the window wall which looks fab (well we think so!), picture below.

We're considering ammonite or cornforth on the outside cabinets (posts included) and downpipe on the island. We're not 100% convinced the downpipe will work? What do you think?

Is there any possibility anyone could use their amazing skills to demonstrate these colours please?

1. outside cupboards ammonite and island downpipe
    2. outside cupboards and island ammonite
    3. and if anyone can really be bothered the same as above but with cornforth instead of ammonite!

Thank you for your time!

• Coldwater
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Basically, something like this...

• Coldwater
    Original Author
    4 years ago

My eyes have gone blind from deciding on colours. I can no longer tell what goes together!

Can someone kindly let me know if plummet for kitchen island, ammonite for outside cupboards and Inchyra blue on the wall go together please!

On reflection we think Downpipe will be just that little bit too dark.

• Sonia
    4 years ago

That looks amazing! So was it Inchyra for wall, cornforth for units and then plummet for island? Well done.

• Coldwater
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you! we're really pleased with it. Cornforth and downpipe on the cabinets and Inchyra on the walls. The Inchyra and downpipe look much better together in person.

• E D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Fantastic result!

I had to scroll back up to check it’s the same kitchen. :)

I’m really impressed. Well done.

More pics please!

• Jules Mc
    4 years ago

Wow, looks amazing. You must be delighted.

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Looks beautiful! well done!!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.