happydays28

Garden Border - Buxus evergreen shrub

happydays28
5 years ago

Hi all,

I intend to pant the Buxus evergreen shrub along the garden border, wanted to know if you have it in your garden and if so any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated or if you can suggest something similar that I could plant that would be great too.

Thanks

Comments (7)

• Patrina
    5 years ago
    What Ribena said, incidentally I have just bought some buxus hedging plants to create low edge to form a small Formal-ish area by my front window. It's important to also look at the times of year that you need to trim your Buxus plants as well. Cut back young hedge plants and topiary by up to one-third in May to encourage bushy growth. Further trimming can be carried out between May and August, as required.
  • rinked
    5 years ago

Just about all buxus in the Netherlands are yellow.. Buxus moth was a plague last year..

• rinked
    5 years ago

Rosemary makes nice shrubs too and smell amazing :) (not as dense as buxus though)

• rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Ilex crenata (Japanese holly) is a recommended alternative to box. Or if you’re after the ball shape I like thuja occidentalis teddy... stays in a ball shape with very little clipping required.
  • Patrina
    5 years ago

Ligustrum Privet Holly is also good and hardy alternative to Buxus. I have a cloud version in my garden very slow growing but can be treated just as Buxus.

• happydays28
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Thank you everybody, much appreciated .

Sponsored

Reload the page to not see this specific ad anymore

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.