stephen_davies33

Have you chosen artificial grass over real turf?

Stephen Davies
5 years ago

This is looking like a possibility for a back end to avoid more gardening chores.

What artificial turf has folks used, why, and what is best?

Comments (19)

• Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

Personally, I wouldn't consider artificial turf ever. I'm a real grass kinda gal.

• Patrina
    5 years ago
    Agree with Ribena nothing better than having real grass. I'd gladly suffer the garden chores to enjoy real grass.
  • Sonia
    5 years ago

My step daughter has fake grass front and back. Cost them a fortune but it still looks plasticky, especially on a sunny day. However, there is less maintenance so I can understand why people choose it.

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Real for me
  • Emmanuelle
    5 years ago
    Wouldn’t like to have plastic laid over my garden. It’s real for me too.
  • Tani H-S
    5 years ago
    I like real but plastic has its place. Ie over concreted area is fab to brighten it up and I know that if we got real glass, it would NEVER get mowed! (Not unless I put all my Guinea Pigs to work on it! Lol)

Interested to know what brands etc are the most real looking as well
  • Tani H-S
    5 years ago
    Looks nice @Jonathan.
    Really brightens up the area rather than just stoning it.
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

Wow Jonathan, your garden is very smart. May I ask what colour/brand the block paving is, I am looking for something similar, a warm mottled grey possibly castacrete.

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Really nice looking garden that!
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Actually it’s Yorkstone tegulas. When they were laid they were grey with a cream quality and showed some copper veining when wet- and they have weathered now to a definite grey but still look different when wet.
  • Jules Mc
    5 years ago
    Wow Jonathan if that's the front would love to see what the back looks like (I think that came out right?!)
  • Monica
    5 years ago

Jonathan that's fabulous. I love, love, love it !!!

• Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

Jonathan, that's absolutely beautiful. I wish we were able to do something beautiful with our courtyard at the front.

• Stephen Davies
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jonathan, that really does look like real turf.

I am no brill gardener but don't mind the tasks.

Less maintenance works for me as I can't be at the property all the time.

What suppliers did you use? I am getting local quotes from http://www.yourjobcost.co.uk/laying-artificial-grass-cost/ but yet to choose. That said, one is from a supplier only a few miles away.

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Stephen- I used a local Yorkshire landscape gardener but I hear he is no longer working.
    As far as exactly what that turf is I’m sorry I can’t help other than to advise you to choose one with a thatch to emulate a real lawn that is actually not green all over.
    Stephen Davies thanked Jonathan
  • Kazza None
    5 years ago
    Nice to see you have converted a few people there Jonathan. As Tani says, it has its place. I have a tiny courtyard with no room for grass but have a strip of artificial grass.
    Stephen Davies thanked Kazza None
  • Stephen Davies
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's what I am getting quotes from Jonathan. local landscape gardeners.

I'm also trying https://www.moderniser.co.uk/ as they are new and have Cardiff and Swansea based lawn services. One is sending a quote for fake turf but looks like the wife is about to ditch my efforts there... Anyway, thanks all for advice.

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Stephen- just send off for some samples to see at home
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.