redseatartan

1960s / 1970s Extension dilemma - no bricks! render or clad?

redseatartan
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We're currently going through a double garage rebuild and kitchen extension. Our builder can't find anything that matches our heavily textured multi orange / autumnal bricks...his suggestion is a completely different red plain brick - I fear that will look cheap and nasty and not improve the overall look of the house.

For the front (garage)

We're considering render or cladding the garage, has anyone seen anything similar?

Our porch is white clad currently but needs replacing so we could match this to the new garage external. I had planned a sectional garage door and modern front door, perhaps in anthracite or a pale grey but not sure how this will work with cladding? perhaps too many horizontal lines? I had previously attempted some mock-ups so those are below too.

For the back (kitchen extension)

Thinking we just make to whatever the garage decision is.

I am keen to keep the look midcentury modern but our roof (plus plan for a half-hip new garage roof makes that a little tricky.

Also just to add complication we already have a slightly different brick on the sides of our house (photo below)

Any thoughts /suggestions welcome!

Render
Find brick

Comments (3)

• rinked
    4 years ago

In the Netherlands most brick houses look like your brick. Baked clay? Could you and the builder just try a little harder to find them?

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Personally i'd say, if you're going to such lengths with a new garage, extension possibly the porch etc, which is a lot. I would render the whole front of the house and garage to tie the whole project together. However, you can't see much of the brick of the garage on the front, just the piers.

Looking closely at them, I think the garage brick was slightly different to the main house and wonder if it was already an addition? Also, if you look at the bricks above the line of where the garage has come down, the top bricks are a different colour to the bottom. So 1, 2 & 3 are all different colour bricks. 1 and 2 are very similar, but to me there is a subtle difference as 1 doesn't contain any darker bricks and is very slightly brighter red.

• PRO
    Brandler London
    4 years ago

I recently built an extension to a house that I owned of a similar age to yours. The extension was rendered although the builder made the mistake of using a standard grey product which required painting, which was a pain in the neck as the render was stippled.

There are a lot of options of coloured renders available which you can find in your local commercial builder's merchants and this removes the need to painting it.

I would also question where your builder is correct about the brick and whether he has bothered to look anywhere other than his local builder's merchants. There is a very large variety of brick colours available and some research on the internet might help you find what you need if the brick finish is your preference.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.