jessica615

Help with cabinets/shelves on either side of fireplace

jessica615
5 years ago

We have a new build house with low ceilings (and a stupid design). We have just taken the wall between the dining room and living room down and are in the process of getting quotes for replacing our existing shelving (probably) for units on either side of the fireplace (to the ceiling) comprising deeper units at the bottom and shelving that come no deeper than the chimney breast so that they are flush. Questions:

1. I think building to the ceiling makes the room look "taller" as opposed to building to, say, 50 cms, short of the ceiling which I feel would bring the ceiling down. Is this correct?

2. Should the units / shelves come right up to either side of the fireplace so that there is a clean sweep or stop, say, a foot short so that there is a gap between the fireplace and the unit. I think the latter might make it look less claustrophobic and give a better sense of space but, on the other hand, we lose out on valuable space. Opinions?

3. On one side we want a TV which is either concealed by a door in a unit or pops up from the lower unit. Any great ideas?

4. Colours???? Help!!!! I wanted white or off wite with pale grey but we do not intend to change the carpet (on advice from the carpet people) which is a blue / green colour and we have 100's of books. They are mostly brown, brown/ reddish with gold lettering on the spine which I feel would clash with the grey. Opinions?

Not the best pictures, I know but something to give you an idea.

Comments (11)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.