webuser_71660

narrow depth barn door hardware

Tani H-S
5 years ago
Another problem just come across with our barn door style opening into the utility (rolling my eyes!)

When the fridge door opens (with the handle on) there is barely any space left behind it for a thick hanging door. No idea how it’s happened - probably because the brick wall they plastered over was all over the place so they have brought the plasterboard our further than expected.

This means we might only get away with having like a 15mm thick door (ply sheet??) on now. No idea if that will work?

Also need to find some hardware that isn’t too chunky at the top so the door sits as close to the wall as possible.

If I put the door on the inside of the utility (there is about 120mm depth from the front to back) then it eats up into the room which makes it even narrower (only 110cm deep now)

Any bright ideas?

Comments (18)

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    What type of door were you looking? You can get veneered plywood? What about a frosted glass sliding door? Will the door open filly with the sliding door open (I assume it slides over to the left?)
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes we could do anything that works as a thin door I guess. It’s the hardware I’m struggling with as need it not to stick out too much:0/
  • temple274
    5 years ago
    So long as the sliding mechanism is higher than the fridge/freezer you should be OK. Then all you need is a low profile handle. You have several options for that: could be cutout, circular or oblong to suit your hand; metal inset pull if you have enough depth or even a leather handle. The latter come with a couple of fixings at either end and the leather part can lie flat when not in use. I found some excellent ones on eBay when I needed a low profile for drawers behind doors.
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    It’s just so had for me to visualise when I can’t see it in real life, it’s so much easier for me to make suggestions! You post any pics of the fridge door open with the gap between it and the wall. Will help me think better?
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yep - will post one tomorrow :0)

- good idea re putting the runner above the fridge. That could buy us some space
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So this is the opening and the fridge door that opens against it.
    As I said, the left infill bar should have been wider but plastering took an extra inch off the width so it’s messed it up :0(

- so if I can sit the mechanism higher than the door then I just have to worry about the stand off depth (gap between the wall and the door) and what size door thickness I can get away with as a minimum.
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    That’s tight, I have a frosted glass door in my wetroom, I’ll measure it when I’m home for you to see what the dimensions are like? I know frosted glass prob is the look your after but possibly might be able to paint it! What about (possibly) a slot being cut in the filler piece and the door slide toward the fridge, ie hidden when open between the wall and side of fridge?
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yeah we were going for more industrial style - or even just painted the same colour as the doors or cladded. Not sure yet, haha.

What would be the benefit of it sliding to the right side instead of the left? I have lots of wall to the left you see but if we cut the filler by the fridge then it would permanently have a rough looking cutout on it so not sure that would work :o/

Dimensions for your current door would be very helpful if you have the same sort of barn sliding fitting. Just to give me an idea :o)

• Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Sorry, no real benefit when I think about it, something was in my head about the fridge door handle not hitting the door when it open, doesn’t matter which side it slides to, when its open its open so the handle won’t hit the door! Doh, I’ll measure mine when get in :-)
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ha ha, one of those moments ;0) LOL

Worse case - if u had to swap the fridge handles for a shallower one in the same colour (maybe a knob might be shorter) then I will just have to do that. Hopefully not though
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Door is (actual glass piece) 840x2080 I’ve included some pics of measurements, door sits about 29mm of wall and is about 8mm thick, the over all protrusion of everything form the wall is about 50mm including brackets so should fit into your 75mm gap ok!
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Fab, thanks @Beano
    I will have a proper look at the pics over the weekend :0)
  • Tani H-S
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Do you think the door standing off about 30mm from the wall is due to your fitting being round rather than flat?

Thinking if I got a flat bar rather than a round tube one, it might save me some space? Lol.

Only I have the door handle on the fridge to take into consideration as well. :0/
  • Anthony (Beano)
    5 years ago
    Yes it wall all depend on the sliding rail thickness, door thickness and mechanism, the door your thinking of should have working drawings too if you as for them.
  • caro7342
    4 years ago

Beano - where did you source yours - that is the sort of thing we are looking for! Tani did you resolve yours? We were planning a pocket door as we thought we had a non supporting wall - turns out we don't so need a quick change of plans. Thanks

• Tani H-S
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi, no we couldn’t do it in the end. The wall wasn’t even boarded & plastered level either so we gave up and just re-purposed an old Victorian style bifold door instead. Works ok but need to figure out how to sound proof it more as washing machine is noisy!!

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

Hi caro7342

cant fully recall but I think it was this place, looks like the same mechanism

https://www.glassandstainlessuk.co.uk/products/glass-sliding-doors-and-partitions/gs-laguna-system/

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.