monidda

Kitchen Reno after years of planning

Monica
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello there, for one reason or another this renovation has been four years in the planning, we must be onto plan *z* which is quite ridiculous but this is it and excited to finally start.

I worked with the wonderful Karen at One Plan on the layout, and I cannot sing her praises high enough. If you are looking to start a renovation please, save yourself hours of agonising over potential layouts, as well as making costly mistakes, and contact her to do it for you. You will not regret it.

The first photo is the preferred layout with the floating island/peninsula in front of big sliding doors or bi-folds ( little unconventional I know but confident it will work well for us).

The second photo is a previous layout we were considering, and we are taking the clever fridge freezer and mini laundry room idea from it, cleverly tucking them under the stairs in the hallway.

The third photo is of the final cabinetry configuration on that back wall and what I need help with. We plan to have two tall units 600mm wide sat on the worktop either side of the range. To increase storage we would want these to be deeper a min of 400mm to be able to fit our microwave, toaster etc. But of course I would also like more useable worktop area. Fitted onto the 600 depth it will leave us with 200mm which very little and not much help. My thought was to pull everything 200mm from the wall which will leave us with a much better 400mm worth of worktop in front of these units. Question is what would I do behind the range with that 20cm extra worktop? Create one of those handy shelves for odds and ends? Also how would we go about the worktop? Would we have to use the standard 600 wide and join it at the back under the units? Hope this makes sense. I have 1000 other questions so I will keep this thread going if so you can to offer help and guidance as we progress :)

Thank you

Comments (775)

• Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Wondered where you had went to! So glad your all sorted and on the mend, kitchen looks like it’s been worth all the heartache and really looking forward to seeing so moe pics and the tiles up :-)

hood looks perfect with the cooker ! Really like it

Monica thanked Anthony (Beano)
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen re-decoration

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks for the explanation. Try a wall that is drawers up to waist high, cupboards above that. YOu can add pull-out cutting boards at waist height so that you can put things there when unpacking groceries and putting things away in the cabinets and drawers: Drawers will help but they will not increase storage space by a factor of two. You could also add drawers where the microwave is now and continue to keep the microwave on top. Here is another wall of wood cabinets: Although it will not solve your storage problem, I recommend that you pull everything out of the cabinets and drawers, one drawer or shelf at a time. Be flexible about storing things elsewhere while the children are very small. Or discarding "aspirational cooking" implements (egg slicers, orange zesters, martini shakers. lobster-shaped gelatin molds) that just haven't been used in years. Families with children tend to accumulate an enormous amount of plastic stuff. In six months or a year, they will need different plastic stuff!
    ...See More

Any Help with updating kitchen greatly appreciated

Q

Comments (27)
    Hi guys, Leelee we are definitely doing the vintage bits on the wall. We actually have some vintage cereal boxes that we are planning on displaying on the shelves (filled with cereal of course)!. Sarainitaly - I'm investigating thenIkea planner but it's painful to work (or maybe it's just me!). Here's a pic of the walls totally painted green now. Think the shelves will look great along with some pictures dotted around. It's the cabinets now that will b a pain! BTW it was pure enthusiasm that stopped me waiting until the water heater came off the wall to paint - lol. I will have to paint the patch when it's off.
    ...See More

New sofa style

Q

Comments (81)
    Hi Lisa, nice sofa. I had a red sofa for 10 years and loved it ( though mine was fabric) I've changed the kitchen/ living room and it stuck out like a sore thumb. I gave in and put in a grey leather sectional one and I must say it's much easier to decorate around. Are you in Ireland? Have you heard of the 1933 company, they have very nice suites. Red makes a big statement! Just my 2 cents worth, good luck!
    ...See More

Houzz Live Chat - Designing a Dream Kitchen, 1 pm, 15 July 2016

Q

Comments (80)
    A15) @Dara Cooke: If you can't afford a quartz or granite worktop from day one then I would recommend using a laminate worktop as a temporary solution. If you don't put tiles up as a backsplash then replacing the worktops can be relatively easy in a couple of years.
    ...See More
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

Hi lovely. I'm giving up on loading photos so will email you in a bit. I don't know what is going on with Houzz ATM and have no idea who to contact as the ones I had email addresses for have all left :( It seems a very long time ago that Houzz used to actively engage with users!

I'm good thanks but poor old Darcey got diagnosed with elbow dysplasia a couple of weeks ago, am gutted for her and life is once again rest, laser therapy, hydro, physio and training :(

i LOVE the room, it's so you! I'm glad you went with the hood, How have you been finding the room? I don't suppose you've been mobile and up to entertaining? I hope you've got something fab planned for when you're fully back on your feet?

Sonia, lol, that made me laugh! That must have taken some reading, we should probably curb what we say at times!

Monica thanked minnie101
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

Ps I meant to say, can we see an example of your newly acquired skill? I love a pleated shade!

Monica thanked minnie101
  • Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Aww thanks Beanno, it has been worth it and I am so grateful for every single comment and opinion. It would have not ended up the way It did, having not had all your guys input.

And Sonia you're a better woman than me, not sure I would have had the patience myself but its interiors so I think I would have LOL I love that we love the same things, I am a more is definitely more kinda of a girl as this kitchen clearly shows LOL I hope your speed is lightening now !!

Aww Darcey pooh :( !!! I am beyond sad to hear her news !!! I am hoping that all of those combined therapies will do the trick and she will soon be her bouncy happy self again. It must be so hard on your all seeing her struggle, I know I cannot cope at all well with Olly being out of sorts.

The space works like a champion and it's if, it's never been different. We love using it, and we did put it through its paces before I went in, formal-ish dinner for 8 and Sunday Dinner that turned into a wild party complete with dancing till almost midnight for 6 of us. PMSL

As for the pleating I haven't got much to show you and this nightmare app is refusing to upload pics.

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Don’t look too close LOL

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Monica & Minnie (lovely duo) I must admit I had to stop reading when the broadband guy arrived so I haven’t read it all, but nearly. BB speed is amazing! I just wanted a cheaper provider and this offer was the best at that time......:-)

Monica thanked Sonia
  • minnie101
    4 years ago

LMAO! Go Monica! There's nothing naughtier than drinking on a school night, especially a Sunday! I had a friend who worked in Dublin for a few years and it came as quite a shock that they treated Sunday night as part of the weekend! I'm glad it works so well and I bet any thoughts of extensions are in the distant past :)

Thanks lovely, I know it's so hard when they can't tell you if they're in pain. So apart from not being being able to do everything she enjoys the poor thing has been put on a strict diet and to top it off she has has to suffer the embarrassment of being in a pushchair.... I think she's secretly enjoying it though, she has a different perspective on everything and she's lost her small dog syndrome as she now thinks she's bigger than big dogs lol!

Love the pleating! I wish I had your skills :)

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Sonia, who did you go with this time???

• Victoria
    4 years ago

Waving

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Monica, are you asking which broadband did I choose? It’s Virgin, they were doing a special price of £18.75 per month for 108 mb super fast fibre, so I moved as my old contract with EE had ended. The offer has now ended, but Martin Lewis shares cheapest broadband, cheapest anything really on his website MoneySavingExpert.com. You can sign up for his weekly email with all the latest money saving deals. This offer is only for 12 months and goes up to £49 a month, so I’ll be moving again. I ain’t paying that!

if you didn’t mean the broadband, my apologies and just ignore me!

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Victoria, how are you lovely???

And Sonia yes I did mean BB :)

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Hi Monica, Virgin are doing another great BB deal if you are still interested. Saw it and thought of you! You need to apply via Martin Lewis’s website MoneySavingExpert.

Monica thanked Sonia
  • Victoria
    4 years ago

All good, Monica. Enjoying a wet and windy week in Cornwall.

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Aww look at that !!! Someone doesn't seem to mind the wet LOL I so wish I could escape for a little break as well. I am literally sick of being inside this home, although I have started driving this week, only short distances to walk the pooch but Gosh it feels so good. Enjoy Cornwall <3

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello my loves, well we have reached the end of the road with this thread, I can finally report that we are finished !!! I meant to update you all a few weeks back its been busy and too miserable for pics. I want to thank you all for keeping me on track and for bouncing ideas all along the way. Job well done we ended up with a kitchen that is perfect for us. Mwah xx

• Sonia
    4 years ago

Well done! Such a beautiful kitchen. You are very lucky :-))

Monica thanked Sonia
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    4 years ago

Totally, totally gorgeous!!!!!! X

Monica thanked OnePlan
  • Patrina
    4 years ago

Looks like a magazine shoot, really well done :-)

Monica thanked Patrina
  • Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Looks wonderful! So pleased for you that your perfect space has been realised after being in the making for so long!

Monica thanked Gabby Wong
  • Anthony (Beano)
    4 years ago

have to agree with all of the above, looks like something out of a magazine shoot! Well done and all in only 745 posts! :-) looks very expensive

Monica thanked Anthony (Beano)
  • Victoria
    4 years ago

Looking gorgeous, as we knew it would. Well done :-)

Monica thanked Victoria
  • Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you guys, a bit sad we didn't make the 800's, hahahahaaa

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

I think that's still more than achievable! For a start you'll need to show us how the space changes when you decorate for Christmas!

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hahahaaaaaa, current view

• Gabby Wong
    4 years ago

Love it Monica! looks so cosy... and those mini trees on the shelves on either side of your extractor are adorable!! (and a brilliant idea that I might just steal when we finish sorting the house..the shelves I've ordered arrive.. and then we decorate for Christmas!

Can not wait!!

Monica thanked Gabby Wong
  • Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s a magical time of year for our homes, enjoy <3

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Hi Monica. It looks absolutely stunning, love the finished look with the tiles and shelves and your accessories of course :) Well done you! Who needs a DeVOL kitchen?!

Monica thanked minnie101
  • neobule
    4 years ago

Monica - please start some sort of interior design blog! This looks incredible, I love everything in your kitchen! Well done :)

Monica thanked neobule
  • Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Aww thank you Minnie and Neo :) Kind of you to say so <3

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Hi Monica. How are you? Do you mind if I just ask how you're finding your zellige tiles? I'm adding a shower to my bathroom and I think I'll go for zellige but was just wondering are they easy to clean being uneven? I don't want to fill a shower with them and then find they're a nightmare! X

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi darling :) all good here thank you I hope you guys are too. So, I can see why you would think about cleaning them being a bit of a pain as they are uneven but to be honest I feel its just the same. Yes they are uneven and you can feel that as you wipe them but you don't get stuck in the unevenness if that makes sense. I love the virtually no grout and seriously their beauty is just breathtaking. The one thing people comment on the most. Do it, you will not regret it <3 But PHHLLLEEAASEEE tell me what colours are you considering. <3

• minnie101
    4 years ago

We're good too thanks 😊 Thank You! I do love them and it's good to hear they're not an issue. I can imagine they're even more beautiful in person. In theory it's a "guest" bathroom but it's so warm in there it's tempting to use it when a shower goes in 😂

I've sent off for these ones so fingers crossed one of them works!

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh YUM !!! It's going to be fabulous and how handy is it going to be for you <3

• minnie101
    4 years ago

They are yum, now to decide tile shape and then floor tiles and find a shower with subtle brass fittings that doesn't cost the earth!

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I love the diamond shape for longevity but not sure if that s a bit too traditional for you. And then square would be my next choice. And a little brass to make them sing louder sounds nice too :)

• Victoria
    4 years ago

Love the diamond shape

• minnie101
    4 years ago

There's also the fish scale (not quite this pink). Sonia suggested fishscales and I said no due to Moroccan look but then realised it's also an oriental pattern! I like all of them but the rectangles and squares are winning ATM! I haven't actually shown my husband yet, we had a very funny conversation over the cost of them last night

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes I like them all too but I think for a bathroom I would choose a slightly smaller one in scale. The rectangles stacked like that are gorgeous now, but I think laying them this way would date the quickest <3

• minnie101
    4 years ago

i think I agree re dating although they are my favourite! Followed by squares then fish scale (again likely to date). I should really ask Russ too 😂 he wanted marble for the shower with a parquet floor so I found these but wow these are £300 sqm

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

They are absolutely lovely, but not as spesh as the zellige I dont think. It's the glazing on them. They add SO MUCH to a space, and they are cheaper !!

• minnie101
    4 years ago

I think it would be too much marble for me tbh and that price would never get past the husband anyway 😂

The zellige samples turned up but the one I thought would be pinky beige is just pink. Back to the drawing board I think as I can't find a rich wood parquet tile either, the odd ones I have found have too much variation in tone between the tiles 😭

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi darling, well that's a royal pain in the backside isn't it? Why is it always so hard to find what we need? Which one did you order?

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Morning, I know I even contacted an interior designer nearly 2 weeks ago just for procurement but she hasn't even responded to me 😂 I can't find a shower cubicle either, I could use the people I used before but that was ££££ just for one door ☹️

I'm thinking it may be sensible to put the bathroom on hold. We received notification of Permitted Development Rights on Friday to convert the offices behind us into 20 flats.. I've had a busy weekend so far researching that in order to object 😡 You can't escape PDR on here but I had no idea it applied for change of use!

I ordered the 3 "pink" ones in the zellige pics I loaded before.

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

WOW !!! I bet you didn't see that one coming :( that is a blow and I hope it won't go ahead. What I meant to ask was which company you ordered the zellige from??

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Thanks lovely. We expected it at some point but for half the amount of flats. it seems nigh on impossible for a council to refuse under Permitted Development Rights, have only found a couple of cases. It means that the flats are way below the Nationally Described Space Standards (which gives minimum square footage etc based on dwelling, occupancy), have little parking and a few have no windows at all whereas a number only have one window into the kitchen/living area. Annoyingly the owner was Chairman of his parish council and sat on the DC planning team and objected to so many developments that affected him or his village..... Rant over, sorry!

oh it was the mosaic company, I think they're also called zellige tiles. I'm guessing that's where you got yours too as the colours were numbered and I remembered your black tile number

• Monica
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well I hope you are all going to object and put some spanners in his way, he certainly sounds delightful *rollseyes*

Yes that s where I got mine from but I wanted to know as I seem to think there are a few different ones in the uk. I'll have a look

• minnie101
    4 years ago

All guns are blazing 😂 even the MP won't escape!

Thanks, they did seem good on price, range of colour and tile shape, just not the most straightforward ordering process!

• Sonia
    4 years ago

minnie101 we and other residents recently objected to the building of 3 houses on a piece of rough land at the back of our houses. Luckily there was some very clever people in the group of objectors and we managed to stop it! Access to this land was only via a skinny service road which reaches residents back gardens and that’s where it failed. Access was too narrow for emergency services so the Highways Dept said no. The land was also inhabited by foxes and bats so problems there too. If you can get together with other neighbours that may help. I know your situation is different but I wish you lots of luck 🙏

• minnie101
    4 years ago

Hi Sonia, I'm so glad yours got rejected 🙂If they had to get full planning it wouldn't go through, or not for that number of flats anyway. It's these stupid Permitted Development Rights and local authorities have little or no chance to turn it down. Unscrupulous developers have been putting absolutely tiny, windowless homes up and down the country, particularly London taking advantage of PDR. I've spent about 20 hours researching so far and finally have a first draft objection! Luckily ours is a Conservation area with some very old houses and there are many architectural/history fanatics living here so have already tried getting them on board!

Thanks for your thoughts. Good point re bats, need to add them in!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.