monidda

Kitchen Reno after years of planning

Monica
21 March, 2019
last modified: 21 March, 2019

Hello there, for one reason or another this renovation has been four years in the planning, we must be onto plan *z* which is quite ridiculous but this is it and excited to finally start.

I worked with the wonderful Karen at One Plan on the layout, and I cannot sing her praises high enough. If you are looking to start a renovation please, save yourself hours of agonising over potential layouts, as well as making costly mistakes, and contact her to do it for you. You will not regret it.

The first photo is the preferred layout with the floating island/peninsula in front of big sliding doors or bi-folds ( little unconventional I know but confident it will work well for us).

The second photo is a previous layout we were considering, and we are taking the clever fridge freezer and mini laundry room idea from it, cleverly tucking them under the stairs in the hallway.

The third photo is of the final cabinetry configuration on that back wall and what I need help with. We plan to have two tall units 600mm wide sat on the worktop either side of the range. To increase storage we would want these to be deeper a min of 400mm to be able to fit our microwave, toaster etc. But of course I would also like more useable worktop area. Fitted onto the 600 depth it will leave us with 200mm which very little and not much help. My thought was to pull everything 200mm from the wall which will leave us with a much better 400mm worth of worktop in front of these units. Question is what would I do behind the range with that 20cm extra worktop? Create one of those handy shelves for odds and ends? Also how would we go about the worktop? Would we have to use the standard 600 wide and join it at the back under the units? Hope this makes sense. I have 1000 other questions so I will keep this thread going if so you can to offer help and guidance as we progress :)

Thank you

• Monica

Thank you Beanno, I would have loved to update the table and chairs but there is nothing wrong with these and I hate waste ( not a fan of consumerism hence why I try and buy so much used stuff). It looks cohesive, it does the job well andI am happy that still love it.

Minnie how many times have I done this?? I always try to save the money and then I always end up spending it, even though three comments above I said I would never justify spending £600 on a hood LOL. ( never say never) I am happy now the deed is done, forgotten about the £685 already, and eagerly awaiting it.

As for curtains maybe simple linen panels will work best. I quite fancy ceiling tracks as we have no coving etc in here so they will draw the eye upwards like the larders do at that back end. So maybe going a pale linen like the wall colour at both ends like you are suggesting rather than breaking it up with two different fabrics/colours? What was that company you used please?

It's funny as we are developing a new routine. Pete comes home, puts the telly on while I cook ( news and pointless LOL) , then we move to the table to eat ( we've eat every single meal there since we finished which is lovely as previously we would eat perched up at the breakfast bar with me on the side with no room for my legs). Then he goes out with Olly while I enjoy my coffee and do a bit of internet binging. Then we tend to move into the lounge to usually watch something we recorded. We are using the whole space which is good.

What I really love is how truly flexible the space is. We have enough room to put the chairs on the same wall into the lounge then this whole area can accommodate lots of dining guests.

And while the kitchen is on half the footprint then before, its working so much better and I see it working well cooking for an army too. Not worried about the masses of dishes and where to put them out of sight when we entertain, because just round the corner in the garage, we have a stainless steel industrial sink plumbed in which mean we can use it as a utility. Yes it means getting out the house but we do that anyhow as all the extra booze is in the fridge there so it won't be such a chore. I need to invest in some plastic crates.

To me having space for our guests when we entertain is more valuable then having lots of kitchen units to fill with stuff. Everything I own fitted in with some empty cupboards ( there isn't an inch of wasted space in those larders though LOL). Happy days :)

• minnie101

Lol! I wouldn't look at it as spending £685, just the difference between making and buying the hood. Down saaf it would have been cheaper to buy the hood :)

So just to clarify do you mean drop the idea of using the Lee Jofa linen? It was Ada and Ina on the link, the fabric samples were lovely.

https://www.linenfabrics.co.uk

Thats great that you're still using both rooms properly as so many people don't. It sounds as if the space is really working for you and it must be nice to have a comfy seat overlooking the garden. I didn't realise you had a wine fridge there, very handy! So have you organised a party to test it out properly or are you waiting until it's fully finished?!

I'm glad everything has found a homes too with space left over, my husband reckons I could "discard" of 2/3 of my cupboards and he's probably not far off :)

• Related Discussions

Help for my Dark kitchen

Q

Nothing is impossible :) Heat resistant tiles are available ,look at these for instance http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/heat-resistant-ceramic-tiles.html
    ...See More

Comprimising on Open Pla

Q

I would go with what the architect suggested. That was my immediate thought and also means that you will get light into your living area all day since the kitchen would be at the front and the living room at the back. It will be a nicer space to live in. If you really can't face bedrooms at the front though could you do something like this? It clearly isn't to scale!! You probably sacrifice a bit of space in that smallest bedroom but gain much more liveable floor space at the front of the house. It also gives your husband the open pan area he likes. It does sacrifice a separate entrance way though. I'd also shift the bathroom wall out and steal some space from the utility room so that you have a larger bathroom.
    ...See More

Design ideas for a bungalow

Q

If you are going to do this - make sure the bedrooms have plenty of wardrobe space etc - don't scrimp ! Ideally every woman wants at least double the wardrobe space she already has !! And a walk-in wardrobe / dressing room is something that would earn any developer brownie points !! So if you have the space ... Use it well !! Breakfast areas in morning sunshine work well and evening sun in the lounge is good - inside outside fireplaces can work really well and everybody needs storage for summer /winter stuff (ski /scuba /suitcases etc ) so worth adding in storage somewhere accessible (like utility room ) for that sort of gear too ! This is an awesome opportunity for you ! Have fun !!!
    ...See More

Win a design consultation at The permanent tsb Ideal Home Show!

Q

Hello Houzz Ireland, We are currently renovating a 1960's build - so as you know, there is a lot of decisions to be made!! So it would be nice to get some gems of advice from the experts to help us through this daunting task. Areas where we would really like some inspiration for - small bathroom downstairs. I would really like to do something fun with this room and although small, I think it could work really well with some funky wallpaper or possibly tiles?! I'm just not sure what to do with it. Also - pulling a whole house together?! Where do we start? We have the bigger pieces of furniture but how do I know what nest of tables goes best with a suite? Or what accessories will bring a room together? I'm due a second baby in 2 weeks time so any help at this stage would be so amazing - to guide me on the right interior design path for our new house. Thanks, Laurie
    ...See More
  • Monica

Of course you are very wise Minnie. Everything is less expensive up north, but its all good now. I can flog the Elica one I bought and recoup some money that way. .

Yes thinking of not using the patterned linen and just go with plain at both ends, maybe find a nice wide trim to edge them for a bit of interest?. Thank you for the link I forgotten the name.

No party organised yet, partly because it's not finished, and partly as we are all buys this time of the year with school and family holidays, but it's in the pipeline :)

And yes you are correct, once we stop and look at what we actually use in our kitchens and what we have we soon realise how quickly things pile up. Saying that I still kept lots of unnecessary bits... gnocchi paddle anyone?? LOL

• minnie101

Morning :) No, just ways of getting spending past my husband :)

I do really like the patterned linen but it may grab a bit more attention so love the idea of a plain one. Not too long to wait for the party, have you got a date for finishing the plinths etc? It will be onto tiling soon...

lol, that should be a new post! I've got loads of stuff, I think the strangest is probably a dim sum maker and steamer, I say strange as as I really don't like steamed dim sum!

OnePlan

Oh party ? Someone mention a party ???? Lol !

• Monica

Hey you guys, how are we all doing?? I am so sorry its been ages and feel so guilty for not updating you but soon after these last posts I ended up with a few health issues then a few procedures followed and finally it all culminated with a full hysterectomy. But its all behind me, I feel fantastic, life is finally getting back to normal again and the kitchen is finished !!!...... hahahahaaa I bloody wish. Not much left though, paint the trim and tile the splash ( which a guy is going to do cos I cannot be arsed with it giving my current state )

I am keen to hear what you think of the matching black hood decision??

• Monica

Trying photo separately

• Gabby

Wow Sonia, Sorry to hear about your issues but glad you're feeling much better now! I think getting a guy in to paint and tile is a very shrewd plan!!

I am loving the look of the hood with the oven though... it's gorgeous and such a contrast to the units!! You must be so pleased with it!

Monica thanked Gabby
  • minnie101

Hi Monica. So sorry to hear of your issues but very pleased you're on the mend and back to normality. It must have been a tough few weeks. I'm not surprised you're giving the tiling a miss!

The hood looks fab! Can't wait to see the tiles go up :)

Monica thanked minnie101
  • Monica

Thank you girls, the hood does exactly what I wanted it to it, grabs your attention first before eyeing the gap. I love it more and more but if I m honest I am not feeling the same love for my lights They just feel like one eye-catching detail too much, must be the fact that they are too big scale wise. I am going to reserve final judgement until the end with everything in place.

Now Minnie, how's the en suite?? and the bedroom I WANT PHOTOS !!! I had nothing yet :)

And most importantly how is everyone?????

colourhappy

It looks amazing, a total triumph. Hope you are feeling better, stay away from the tiling : )

Monica thanked colourhappy
  • Monica

Aww thank you lovely, I am so pleased you guys think so too. Oh and no tiling will happen by my fair hands that's for sure. I have taught myself the skill of pleated lampshades whilst recovering, so I am now a mission to pleat everything LOL

OnePlan

Sending gentle (((hugs))) x

• Beano

Wondered where you had went to! So glad your all sorted and on the mend, kitchen looks like it’s been worth all the heartache and really looking forward to seeing so moe pics and the tiles up :-)

hood looks perfect with the cooker ! Really like it

Monica thanked Beano
  • Sonia

Sitting at home waiting for Virgin to arrive to install super fast super dooper broadband and thought I’d tackle the 726 comments! I think this amazing post should be renamed “Friends - the one where Monica and Minnie discuss everything”. Such warmth and honesty throughout, and Monica your kitchen is lovely. My favourite metal is brass and those taps, those lights are a triumph! Wishing you a very speedy recovery and you must be very proud of yourself. Well done. ((()))

Monica thanked Sonia
  • minnie101

Hi lovely. I'm giving up on loading photos so will email you in a bit. I don't know what is going on with Houzz ATM and have no idea who to contact as the ones I had email addresses for have all left :( It seems a very long time ago that Houzz used to actively engage with users!

I'm good thanks but poor old Darcey got diagnosed with elbow dysplasia a couple of weeks ago, am gutted for her and life is once again rest, laser therapy, hydro, physio and training :(

i LOVE the room, it's so you! I'm glad you went with the hood, How have you been finding the room? I don't suppose you've been mobile and up to entertaining? I hope you've got something fab planned for when you're fully back on your feet?

Sonia, lol, that made me laugh! That must have taken some reading, we should probably curb what we say at times!

Monica thanked minnie101
  • minnie101

Ps I meant to say, can we see an example of your newly acquired skill? I love a pleated shade!

Monica thanked minnie101
  • Monica

Aww thanks Beanno, it has been worth it and I am so grateful for every single comment and opinion. It would have not ended up the way It did, having not had all your guys input.

And Sonia you're a better woman than me, not sure I would have had the patience myself but its interiors so I think I would have LOL I love that we love the same things, I am a more is definitely more kinda of a girl as this kitchen clearly shows LOL I hope your speed is lightening now !!

Aww Darcey pooh :( !!! I am beyond sad to hear her news !!! I am hoping that all of those combined therapies will do the trick and she will soon be her bouncy happy self again. It must be so hard on your all seeing her struggle, I know I cannot cope at all well with Olly being out of sorts.

The space works like a champion and it's if, it's never been different. We love using it, and we did put it through its paces before I went in, formal-ish dinner for 8 and Sunday Dinner that turned into a wild party complete with dancing till almost midnight for 6 of us. PMSL

As for the pleating I haven't got much to show you and this nightmare app is refusing to upload pics.

• Monica

Don’t look too close LOL

• Sonia

Monica & Minnie (lovely duo) I must admit I had to stop reading when the broadband guy arrived so I haven’t read it all, but nearly. BB speed is amazing! I just wanted a cheaper provider and this offer was the best at that time......:-)

Monica thanked Sonia
  • minnie101

LMAO! Go Monica! There's nothing naughtier than drinking on a school night, especially a Sunday! I had a friend who worked in Dublin for a few years and it came as quite a shock that they treated Sunday night as part of the weekend! I'm glad it works so well and I bet any thoughts of extensions are in the distant past :)

Thanks lovely, I know it's so hard when they can't tell you if they're in pain. So apart from not being being able to do everything she enjoys the poor thing has been put on a strict diet and to top it off she has has to suffer the embarrassment of being in a pushchair.... I think she's secretly enjoying it though, she has a different perspective on everything and she's lost her small dog syndrome as she now thinks she's bigger than big dogs lol!

Love the pleating! I wish I had your skills :)

• Monica

Sonia, who did you go with this time???

• Victoria

Waving

• Sonia

Monica, are you asking which broadband did I choose? It’s Virgin, they were doing a special price of £18.75 per month for 108 mb super fast fibre, so I moved as my old contract with EE had ended. The offer has now ended, but Martin Lewis shares cheapest broadband, cheapest anything really on his website MoneySavingExpert.com. You can sign up for his weekly email with all the latest money saving deals. This offer is only for 12 months and goes up to £49 a month, so I’ll be moving again. I ain’t paying that!

if you didn’t mean the broadband, my apologies and just ignore me!

• Monica

Hi Victoria, how are you lovely???

And Sonia yes I did mean BB :)

• Sonia

Hi Monica, Virgin are doing another great BB deal if you are still interested. Saw it and thought of you! You need to apply via Martin Lewis’s website MoneySavingExpert.

Monica thanked Sonia
  • Victoria

All good, Monica. Enjoying a wet and windy week in Cornwall.

• Monica

Aww look at that !!! Someone doesn't seem to mind the wet LOL I so wish I could escape for a little break as well. I am literally sick of being inside this home, although I have started driving this week, only short distances to walk the pooch but Gosh it feels so good. Enjoy Cornwall <3

• Monica

Hello my loves, well we have reached the end of the road with this thread, I can finally report that we are finished !!! I meant to update you all a few weeks back its been busy and too miserable for pics. I want to thank you all for keeping me on track and for bouncing ideas all along the way. Job well done we ended up with a kitchen that is perfect for us. Mwah xx

• Sonia

Well done! Such a beautiful kitchen. You are very lucky :-))

Monica thanked Sonia
    OnePlan

Totally, totally gorgeous!!!!!! X

Monica thanked OnePlan
  • Patrina

Looks like a magazine shoot, really well done :-)

Monica thanked Patrina
  • Gabby

Looks wonderful! So pleased for you that your perfect space has been realised after being in the making for so long!

Monica thanked Gabby
  • Beano

have to agree with all of the above, looks like something out of a magazine shoot! Well done and all in only 745 posts! :-) looks very expensive

Monica thanked Beano
  • Victoria

Looking gorgeous, as we knew it would. Well done :-)

Monica thanked Victoria
  • Monica

Thank you guys, a bit sad we didn't make the 800's, hahahahaaa

• Gabby

I think that's still more than achievable! For a start you'll need to show us how the space changes when you decorate for Christmas!

• Monica

Hahahaaaaaa, current view

• Gabby

Love it Monica! looks so cosy... and those mini trees on the shelves on either side of your extractor are adorable!! (and a brilliant idea that I might just steal when we finish sorting the house..the shelves I've ordered arrive.. and then we decorate for Christmas!

Can not wait!!

Monica thanked Gabby
  • Monica

It’s a magical time of year for our homes, enjoy <3

• minnie101

Hi Monica. It looks absolutely stunning, love the finished look with the tiles and shelves and your accessories of course :) Well done you! Who needs a DeVOL kitchen?!

Monica thanked minnie101
  • neobule

Monica - please start some sort of interior design blog! This looks incredible, I love everything in your kitchen! Well done :)

Monica thanked neobule
  • Monica

Aww thank you Minnie and Neo :) Kind of you to say so <3

• minnie101

Hi Monica. How are you? Do you mind if I just ask how you're finding your zellige tiles? I'm adding a shower to my bathroom and I think I'll go for zellige but was just wondering are they easy to clean being uneven? I don't want to fill a shower with them and then find they're a nightmare! X

• Monica

Hi darling :) all good here thank you I hope you guys are too. So, I can see why you would think about cleaning them being a bit of a pain as they are uneven but to be honest I feel its just the same. Yes they are uneven and you can feel that as you wipe them but you don't get stuck in the unevenness if that makes sense. I love the virtually no grout and seriously their beauty is just breathtaking. The one thing people comment on the most. Do it, you will not regret it <3 But PHHLLLEEAASEEE tell me what colours are you considering. <3

• minnie101

We're good too thanks 😊 Thank You! I do love them and it's good to hear they're not an issue. I can imagine they're even more beautiful in person. In theory it's a "guest" bathroom but it's so warm in there it's tempting to use it when a shower goes in 😂

I've sent off for these ones so fingers crossed one of them works!

• Monica

Oh YUM !!! It's going to be fabulous and how handy is it going to be for you <3

• minnie101

They are yum, now to decide tile shape and then floor tiles and find a shower with subtle brass fittings that doesn't cost the earth!

• Monica

I love the diamond shape for longevity but not sure if that s a bit too traditional for you. And then square would be my next choice. And a little brass to make them sing louder sounds nice too :)

• Victoria

Love the diamond shape