ribena_drinker

Pruning Hydrangea arborescens

Ribena Drinker
5 years ago

I'd like to tidy up a Hydrangea arborescens that I have in the back garden but I wasn't sure if it was too late to prune it and that it should have been done late last year or can I still do it this spring? The advice is rather complicated, so I'm a bit lost.

Can anyone help?

Comments (2)

• Patrina
    5 years ago
    Late winter early spring is a good time to prune. personally I leave mine till early spring.
  • rachelmidlands
    5 years ago
    Hi Ribena drinker. I always do mine in spring, two mop heads and one piniculata. Piniculata and aborescens need to be treated slightly differently because they flower on new wood where as mop heads and lace caps flower on old wood. So I just dead head the mop heads when the leaves start showing and thin out any dead dying branches, and for piniculata I trim back by 2 thirds plus trim any dead branches, both at this time of year. Although if it’s fairly young then you can just leave the aborescens and it should still flower. This should explain better: https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=516
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.