hooked_on_houses

House or apartment

hooked_on_houses
5 years ago
Hi everyone.
Me and my husband are buying our first place. And with our budget we can either afford an apartment(no more budget for fixing or customising) or an older house that needs fixing (but still within our budget with the fixing and customising).
What do you think we should get?

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Carrie Cotton Design
    5 years ago

Hello - I love your Houzz ID 'Hooked_On_Houses'. To me, that's your answer right there. A house that needs work is going to offer you rewarding projects, room to grow, and a chance to customise the space just the way you want it. Do you like the house better? Do you get excited about it? If I can't stop thinking about a home's potential, then I know it's a good fit:). Good luck!! Sounds super exciting. xx

• hooked_on_houses
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the reply.

Yes the house has a back yard and front yard. I can expand upstairs as well as in the back. And my dad worked in construction all his life so him and my husband will be doing most of the work.
    I'm not too excited about the neighbourhood to be honest. It's mostly elderly people, on a main/busy road and close to a football stadium which every weekend makes the area even busier.
    But the house itself has potential and I would love to customize everything from scratch, whereas the apartment there's no more room in my budget for changes and honesty all the apartments seems small to me because I was raised in a house.
    I'm definitely excited about the house mostly. I just want to make the right decision. It's going to be our home for a long time. Raise our kids there.
    My heart is set on having a house and because of our budget I settled looking for apartments.
    So stressful deciding seriously
  • rinked
    5 years ago

How handy/technical are you?

What does your heart tell you?

Would you like to have kids somewhere soon?

Do you mind mess and dust?

Are you patient and resilient? And a bit silly from time to time?

And can you cope with stress, disappointment, unpleasant surprises?

How strong is your relationship?

Because buying a fixer upper can be tiring. ;)

Okay, maybe not, since you say you have the budget (is that for diy or will you hire?).

• hooked_on_houses
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Interesting questions rinq.

I know that getting a ready to move in apartment is the easiest option, but I feel that I won't feel it 100% as my home.

I've always loved interior design and making a place my own. From living with my parents, to renting apartments, I never felt a place like my own. I feel like this house will be an opportunity for me to customize it and even though I know it will take time and effort fixing it and as well as maintaining it, at least it will be our own and it will feel like home.
    If I get any apartment I worry that it will still feel like I'm renting it.
  • hooked_on_houses
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hey Carrie.
    Yeah ever since I've seen the house I can't stop thinking about it and all the things we could do to make it our own. To feel like home. Our future kids playing in the backyard.. Instead of an apartment balcony.
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

It's great that you'd have cheap/free labour! Have any other houses in the road extended? You might want to consider ceiling value in the road although it may not be so important if it's a really long term home. You may also want to consider how busy the road is for bringing up children. I don't know whether you're in the US or UK(although it's the middle of the night in the US!) but in the UK I think you need to decide on schools as soon as they turn 3 so have you looked at the schools in the area?

We fell head over heels for a house but in the last couple of years the location has become a sticking point. Although we love the inside of our house, let's just say outside has its problems

• rinked
    5 years ago

Then your heart knows.. ;) Buying the appartment will still make you hunger for a house. As minnie101 says, is this the right time, what are your short-term life goals?

It's a commitment you must be willing to take (or have a really nice salary so you can have someone else do it for you). If the time is now, go for it!

We've bought our fixer upper Jan.2012 and it's far from finished. All DIY. Complete gut. We take little bites of a huge project, whenever there's time, money and energy (and having a child makes that even more challenging). People call us crazy, but we wouldn't want it any other way.

• hooked_on_houses
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I actually live in a small island hehe. Cyprus. In the Mediterranean. There's schools there, no waiting list etc, but yes its a busy street. I grew up in a neighborhood where we used to play in the streets you know? But you can still raise kids there safely. There's parks close by as well. I don't know who I'm kidding.. I just want the house hehe.
    I also want to make sure it's a good house with good foundation etc. Do I need a civil engineer for that?
  • rinked
    5 years ago

In the Netherlands a civil engineer is mandatory in most cases, at least for older house and taxation. And worth the extra money, since you can negotiate on the selling price when the engineer discovers structural defects (for example due to poor maintenance).

For example: We had longhorn beetles in the attic. Sellers told they had it treated some years before. Turns out the critters were alive and had eaten some roof trusses (up to the point where the roof started to sag. Got a quotation for repairs, -€3000 on the selling price (ended up replacing the beams ourselves for less than €400, difficult job though), had pest control spray all of the wood (and had to stay out of the house for a week).

• hooked_on_houses
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So confused. Now I'm trying to think more practical and considering to get an apartment. So stressed about making a decision.
  • rinked
    5 years ago

Write down all your + and - on a paper, both you and your love. Mind and heart get equal say. See what weighs in more.

• hooked_on_houses
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Good idea. Thanks
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

I don't know what the process is in Cyprus (nice place to live!) but here to get a mortgage you need a valuation survey (basically checking that the house is worth the price you're paying). You can then choose to have a survey carried out, normally chosen based on the age and condition of the house. Our house is 1840 so we went for a full survey. I can't remember the cost but have something like £1,500 in my head. As rinq said you can negotiate the selling price if it throws up issues or decide there just too much to take on.

if the only downside is the busy road, but you have parks and good schools close by, then maybe this is the practical option. Think of lugging pushchairs and shopping up apartment stairs!

• hooked_on_houses
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I think I'm starting to touch my feet on the ground again and I see that the house will not be a good option for us now. I found one that it's still in our budget to at least fix the kitchen how we like it
  • hooked_on_houses
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I'll be sending pics here soon for advice
  • rinked
    5 years ago

A dreamhouse shouldn't become a nightmare. (Not that we want to scare you with all our fixing upper stories!) Good to have a plan B. Ideas can grow. Find a house that you can handle.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.