huw_buckley

Howdens oak veneer internal doors - worth the extra cost over Wickes?

Huw Buckley
5 years ago

I'm looking at Howdens Dordogne unfinished oak veneer ones and for 9 doors plus hinges and basic handles, it's looking at at just uner £1500 trade price. Are they worth the extra over Wickes/B&Q equivalents which come in at £80/door?

Comments (3)

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Howdens doors are thicker and twice as heavy as wickes doors ( literally ), I believe they are supposed to be of a more solid construction. Thus, they are less prone to warping. The amount of lip you have when trimming however is only 10mm on a Howdens door compared to a 20mm on a Wickes door. This needs to be taken in to consideration, you've got less wood to play with on the Howdens door if your frames aren't true ( they rarely are ).

The choice is yours at the end of the day, but in answer to the question are Howdens better doors, yes, possibly. However, i'd ask what their guarantee is like in both shops............I don't know the answer.

If it were me, i'd probably still go for the Wickes door at the end of the day, money is money and it's not like they're utter rubbish, they're still great doors and are FSC Certified, so they can't be that bad, I've fitted many and have never had a problem with them.

• Daisy England
    5 years ago

As an alternative look at LPD Doors website. They only deal with trade but offer 1000s of choices and will recommend a local trader. Their doors are the best we’ve found.

• G Q
    last year

I used the Wickes Geneva Oak Veneer Cottage Internal Door with their Sydney Round Rose Latch Door Handle Sets.

Treat the doors with Danish Oil, they absolutely brilliant!

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.