heather_bailiff

velux windows help

Heather
5 years ago
So work is well and truly underway on our extension now!

Trying currently to decide about the colour of the velux windows on the ground floor rear and side extension

Attached are diagrams of the rear view and side view once it is finished with the veluxes labelled 1-4

All windows above ground floor will be white uPVC.
The 5m expanse of sliding doors (there will be 3 doors not 4 as shown in the diagram) we will get aluminium either black or a dark grey, with slim frames (45mm)

Velux number 1 is located above the utility/storage area
Veluxes 2-4 are all located within an open plan area - velux 2 is above a small seating/living area and velux 3&4 are above the dining table/kitchen area.

Ideally would like the veluxes 3&4 above the sliding doors to be aluminium same colour as sliding doors.

Should we:

Get velux 1&2 as white uPVC and velux 3&4 as aluminium to match sliding doors

Get velux 1 as upvc and velux 2-4 as aluminium

Or

All 4 veluxes to be aluminium.

Also am considering putting an extra velux in between 3&4 to let more light in. The rear of our house is completely south facing though so am worried it might get too hot?

Grateful for any advice!

Comments (20)

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Personally I think you match the velux with the roof colour
  • Sam Potter
    5 years ago
    re an extra roof velux: on a recent thread on houzz about loft conversions the advice was to install larger windows rather than to add more small ones. For reasons of cost mostly I think.
  • Gabby Wong
    5 years ago
    I also think larger rather than more probably, the other thing to consider is whether they’re opening ones? As being south facing I think it’s likely to get really hot! (Look up Tani’s post about sunbathing in her extension) as it’s similar to you with large doors and skylights
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

All to be the same colour and not white, as they look odd in a roof that colour. So, agree with Jonathan. Also, make sure you have openers, as it will get hot in there, however, the big problem is flies / insects, they hover in the roof void and have no way of getting out.

• minnie101
    5 years ago

Can you do white inside and a different colour outside to blend in with the roof? Definitely have openers and also solar control glass. My brothers new parquet floor faded very quickly! Hard to say if you need extra roof lights without knowing the depth of the room but do consider pendant light placing too

• Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for advice, yes the veluxes will definitely be opening ones.

Jonathan, The roof (both the new roof at the top and the new roof in ground floor extension) we are going for concrete interlocking tiles, I think the same colour as our current roof (a dark reddy-brown). I’m not sure can you get veluxes in that colour? I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before!

Definitely putting our money into solar glass for both veluxes and the sliding doors. Was keen on engineered wood for floor but worries about fading, would LVT be better?
  • Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Minnie - yes did think about different colours inside and out, I think I would prefer aluminium grey on the inside for 3&4 but wondering if I can get away with velux 2 being white on the outside and dark grey on the inside?
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

I think I would keep them the same colour. LVT can also fade not sure if it will as badly as wood but it can definitely fade. You could also add an awning which should help.

• Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Having looked at veluxes, there doesn’t seem to be a suitable sized one to make the veluxes 3&4 bigger. The sloping roof is about 1.3m. Am just wondering if adding another one in between would work - it would mean, however, that the veluxes will not “line up” with the upstairs windows - but would line up with the sliding doors?

Would be looking at 94x98 veluxes, each door is around 1.6m wide
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I like the above plan, also think about what you're putting and where underneath the veluxes. You need a lighting plan before you decide totally upon the windows, as you will require pendant lights probably, so you need to know where they will go over a dining table for example!

A floor plan of the inside would be more helpful than the outside aspect.

• Heather
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks MATH, Yes we are going to have pendant lights above the dining table. The dining table is actually going to sit right underneath the steel beam which holds up the 2nd storey rear external wall - just need to find a way to wire the lights through a steel beam!
  • Heather
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So...Work is progressing irritatingly slowly but we are finally at the point where the wraparound lower floor extension roof is going to be built in the next few weeks so need to make decisions on these veluxes and I’m struggling with the sizes so would appreciate some more thoughts...

The pent roof to the ground floor extension is around 1.4m in length internally - so is it feasible to have 98cm height windows with around 20cm of ceiling at the top and bottom? Or will this be a bit squished? I’m concerned the light is going to come through and just hit the external wall of the floor above (steel beam projects around 20cm below ceiling height which is 2.4m)

Assuming 98cm height is ok...I was thinking the 78x98 sizes or a combination of 55x98 and 78x98 , and I think they will look better lined up with the windows on the 1st floor rather than lined up with the sliding doors?!

I’ve indicated where the dining table will be on the plan (as you walk through sliding doors it’s dining table, island, then tall units against back wall) and we wanted to put a pendant light above this which is problematic if there is a velux in the middle of the dining table but this is my preferred layout so far:

• Heather
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Some other options:

• Heather
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Some other options:

• Heather
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Another option:

• Heather
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oops sorry about the accidental multiple posts. Here is the internal floor plan (ignore the lighting plan as we’ve changed this slightly, we are going to have a pendant light over dining table)

• Ellie
    4 years ago

This is my current kitchen velux 90 X 70 cm. We are adding 2 more. We have 50 cm below velux before it hits the vertical, think 20 cm might look strange. Can you put longer eg 60 X 90 cm? We are having similar layout to you too in that one long side of the dining table will be under the velux.

• Ellie
    4 years ago

I think it's more important that inside lines up rather than worry about things lining up outside.

• Ribena Drinker
    4 years ago

There are three things that immediately come to mind from what you've said, which are:

Firstly, 20cms top and bottom, to me seems meagre and I suspect, may cause problems actually getting them installed. Plus I feel they will look a bit squished.

Secondly, I don't think you need to think about how it looks from the outside and whether it "lines up" with the upstairs window, because you will see the outside far less than how often you'll see the inside - which is everyday, so I would say, what it looks like on the inside is your primary concern.

Thirdly, I would ask whether you actually need three with the (I'm assuming) bifolds (or similar).

We had two existing Velux windows, before we had the kitchen done. The original space had no other windows and the space got adequate light from them. When we had the kitchen moved into that space, we had a smallish window 80x100cm created in the wall and now the window plus the Velux windows gives plenty of light.

Only two would be cheaper too. :-)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.