ruth_forrest6049628

Downstairs loo/boiler problem!

Ruth Forrest
5 years ago

I'm the process of renovating our new house and I'm really stuck on how to do what I want with the downstairs loo and was wondering if anyone had any helpful advice to offer!

I really want it to be a dark room with a bold print wallpaper, similar to the couple I've attached, however I can't figure out how to do this with the boiler where it is. I considered boxing in the whole back wall with a concealed cupboard for the boiler but this would block up the side window.

Money's a serious consideration so I want to avoid too much work that couldn't be done by a (fairly) keen DIYer...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! The room is a state at the moment as you can see, so I can't make it much worse!

Comments (4)

• PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Can you sketch a plan with sizes on - especially sizes of where the windows are and the boiler dimensions. I have a trainee coming in next week - and this could be a good quandary for her !!
  • Tani H-S
    5 years ago
    Can you take a picture of the top of the wc wall as well?

Are you planning on changing the WC itself or keeping it?

And how deep is the boiler compared to the window?
  • Tani H-S
    5 years ago
    I was thinking that if you boxed the whole wall out to the window but then boxed around the boiler separately (so the boiler front stuck out) then either side you could add little shelves to balance out the centre and to put plants on against the tropical wall paper you want. That’s if you don’t want to lose some window. I would also paper the front of the boiler access door to blend it in.

If you aren’t losing too much of the window then I would box across and make the window rebate smaller to account for it. But more work but it depends on what you can live with
  • PRO
    bubbles bathrooms and tiles
    5 years ago

Love the wall paper idea! You could box half way to conceal the cistern and make a cupboard for the boiler so it's accessible. You would eliminate alot of the boxing seen going down to floor level.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.