sara_bacon60

Kitchen design help please!

Sara Bacon
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We’re currently the middle of a house extension and I’m really struggling to decide on a kitchen design that best suits our open plan space. If anyone could please offer help it would be greatly appriciated. The kitchen design is the same except the way the island is going. The island on the second picture had been made the same size as the first. Also due to the floor to ceiling window we are limited to a 3.3m run along the sink wall.

Comments (19)

• Sara Bacon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Sara Bacon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Daisy England
    5 years ago

Is that a Howdens plan? I know I’ve seen it before, just trying to recall which one of the big suppliers it was.

Couple of things for me on there. I don’t like a straight corner base. You cannot access the corners without getting on your hands and knees. I would always start with the corner and plan a 900 L shaped base (2 x 313 mm wide doors) so that both doors will open and you will have full access to the whole corner. These also store a huge amount of stuff.

I would also be cautious about having a drawer pack next to the corner/corner post. Depending on what you have for handles on the straight corner base unit door you might not be able to pull the drawer out to miss the handle.

A small additional point regarding the drawer pack, and this is just my personal opinion, an 800mm wide is a better size. I think once you get to a 900 and 1000 wide in the event of you pulling it open with only one handle it could get jammed because of the tendency to pull at an angle. Not so relevant for handless as you can pull in the middle.

I do realise that you're planning on having a tall bank of units which will look great so substituting the 900 L base would be difficult if you didn’t omit something else.

And one final comment .... look at other suppliers to Howdens. They aren’t the best.

Sara Bacon thanked Daisy England
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Alternative
    Sara Bacon thanked Jonathan
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Hi Sara - who ever designed this kitchen didn’t have saftey very high on their agenda... please don’t use this. It’s not safe.
  • Sara Bacon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks so much for your input. We are having handless so hopefully not suffer with those issues. We’re having the swivel pull out things in the corner unit. One design is Howdens and the other is a local independent company. We have also been to Magnet. I think they are all pretty similar. Any opions on which way to have the island.

• Sara Bacon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

One Plan what do you mean please?

• Sara Bacon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Jonathon. Is it ok not to have window in the kitchen?

• PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Well seating people behind a hob is dangerous - the DW is a trip hazard between the hob and sink and there’s no set down space for hot things coming out of the oven. That’s the three that jump out immediately...
    hope that helps !
  • Sara Bacon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Anyone have any thoughts on the island at all?

• Sara Bacon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry about the amateur island haha would this work?

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Having a sink in front of a window is a bit of a old fashioned idea.
    But if you are going to change the plan you need to do it quickly
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago

In addition to Jonathan’s comment ... And it ought to be done with the help of a credible professional. One who actually puts your safety first !

I know this advise is a bit late for you Sara - sorry ! But for others that may be reading this thread with interest - but aren’t quite at this stage yet - things to note from this are that most builders don’t like ( and therefore charge more for ) last min changes - so it’s always a good idea to plan ahead - ie sort the kitchen design when the extension is still at plan stage -rather than when the builder is on site. This way they [the builders ] can price the job knowing exactly where they need to provide plumbing, electrics and vents for the kitchen layout. This should keep the price to as agreed.

Good designers - like good builders - aren’t available at the drop of a hat - they get booked up a few weeks ahead - so when you are thinking of building an extension - consider the professionals you will need and book as early as you can. In your design time you can work through all the options with your designer and then perfect the plan down to every last detail. This also gives you more time to shop around with one plan to secure the best deals.

This way your build will have a better chance at going smoothly.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

OnePlan has all the points but as we seen many times people prefer paying half price to cowboys and thinking how expensive the other guy was.

• Sara Bacon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The problem is where the kitchen window is we have a 3ft drop to the garden and not enough length in the garden to put steps down without losing a lot of lawn. Otherwise we would have gone with a large opening of bifold across there. I don’t really know what to do was hoping to get some advice but if anything it’s confused me even more. I’m so completely stressed and this just tipping me over the edge

• Sara Bacon
    Original Author
    5 years ago

May I add our builders are fantastic and we waited over a year for them

• Monica
    5 years ago

I prefer the first option. Better for cooking both on the hob and keeping an eye on things in the oven. No trip hazzard if the dishwasher is open. And you get better view too when you're cooking. :)

My only concern is that there is a beam right above the hob so you'll need to plan carefully how to duct the extractor fan out.

Sara Bacon thanked Monica
  • PRO
    Complete Home Development
    5 years ago

Hi Sara - lots of advice from different people can be good thing but can also cause confusion - my advice would to have a site visit from a professional designer who would give you safe ideas/options which you can chose from - having your builder their at the same time would enable you, the builder and the designer to work together to give you the best design. Feel free to call me if you need any help - 07495601661.

Good luck! Georgie

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.