webuser_844548111

Temperature control in kitchen: large sliding doors / roof and windows

Hi All,

We are planning a large kitchen extension, which would feature large aluminium sliding doors, a fixed large aluminium window, and a partially glazed roof. The garden is west facing. But I'm concerned: will we boil in the summer? Is there anyway of reducing the solar gain ( i.e. some kind of thermoregulating glass / coating etc) Has anyone done this? Or perhaps we should consider reducing the amount of glass ? The picture below shows the kind of design I'm referencing, but with potentially bigger doors. Thank you for your thoughts.

Comments (2)

• minipie
    5 years ago

We are building a similar design extension and are south facing. We did make some design changes after last year’s super hot summer. Here’s what we have done to hopefully avoid cooking in future:

- solar control glass

- made sure there are at least two opening bits of glass, including one in the ceiling of the extension to allow hot air out

- Ideally you also want something openable at both front and back of the house (and obviously doors open in between) to allow a through draught. We just about have this though not as good as I’d like.

- we are also providing wiring so we can install two awnings, one over the back sliding doors and possibly one over the largest (very large) skylight. May be overkill and we may not need the skylight one but good to have the option. The back door awning also provides privacy and shade for the outdoor dining table. As an alternative to awnings you could use internal blinds for your doors and/or skylights.

Rebecca Hodgkinson thanked minipie
  • obobble
    5 years ago
    Or consider a brise soleil?
    Rebecca Hodgkinson thanked obobble
Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.