qwartz

mansard kitchen : no space for an exhaust fan. ventilation enough ?

qwartz
5 years ago

We are installing a galley kitchen and the ceiling is low and sloped as it is under the eaves, as in the picture (this is not our kitchen which is still a building site but just to show the configuration). There is therefore no space for a proper exhaust chimney fan (and we will be using gas). Do you think that a wall extractor fan is sufficient to get rid of the cooking smells, grease and vapour ? If so, how close to the hob should it be ? thanks for your help !

Comments (3)

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Consider a downdraft extractor and the vent out of the wall at ankle height
  • qwartz
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thank you very much Jonathan. We would like to avoid a downdraft if possible hence my question on whether a "simple" ventilation would suffice to do the job or if we need to consider something more...

• PRO
    Lifestyle Kitchens
    5 years ago

part f of the building regs covers extraction in new builds and for a kitchen if you cant have an extractor next to the hob then you need an extractor capable of a minimum of 60l/s, it may well get rid of some of the smell, but i don't think it will get rid of grease.

are all the kitchens having gas hobs as i'd check with a gas safe engineer that its suitable/legal first with the ceiling that low over the hob and with the window (if it opens). i'd advise an induction hob instead.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.