webuser_21289340

Kitchen cupboard paint colour

Coldwater
5 years ago

You may or may not recall me going backwards and forwards with the decision to either replace the whole kitchen or just update. We've finally decided on painting the cupboards as we've already spent money on new worktops and titles and can't afford the luxury kitchen of our dreams just yet!

We've decided to paint the current red wall Inchyra Blue, which we love. But are totally stuck with what colour to paint the cupboards and cupboard ends etc. We had wondered about one colour on the cupboards around the room and a different colour on the island cupboards. What colours do you think would work in the space with the Inchyra Blue?

We're not keen on the oak cupboards and other oak detailing at all, so even if the cream cupboards stay, we'd want the oak gone! The room has low ceilings and not much light.

We will also be changing the door handles.

Comments (17)

• E D
    5 years ago

Great size kitchen.

Have you already painted the walls blue? If so can you share photos?

Are these the new work tops in the photos?

• Coldwater
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Not painted yet, no! hopefully this weekend.
    yes the worktops are the new ones. the island one was there when we moved in, it's granite so no way were we replacing it!
  • Sonia
    5 years ago
    I would paint the upper wooden unit fronts the same as the bottom cupboards. I don’t think a darker colour above would work. I think an off white would work as in the first pic below. I’ve also added a list of paints that work well with Inchyra Blue. Click on the picture to enlarge. Looking better already - get that paint brush out!
  • eainel
    5 years ago

Have you considered removing the upper units? This would lighten the kitchen - if you need the storage go for streamlined open shelving - love the blue!

• Coldwater
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for all your input! That colour chart is really helpful.

I had considered removing the top cupboards, but we'd still have a lot of oak in other areas which I'm not sure what we'd do with. Also I wondered if it would be too much open wall as it's a large space. You can see from this photo of the kitchen before we moved in. The dresser unit has been removed.

I've also included a screenshot of a kitchen found online. What are your thoughts to this colour on the outer cupboards. Could we get away with a different colour or the Inchyra blue on the island?

• eainel
    5 years ago

Love the Hornsby style - chalk paint is available in lots of colours and easily transforms any wood you want to tie in with your colour scheme- just use a Matt sealer to give a more robust finish - I have painted lots of furniture and junk shop finds and the transformation is brilliant! You can mix colours until you find your perfect shade- large contemporary art in vibrant colours on the large wall would add personality to your kitchen - Good luck

• minnie101
    5 years ago

I don't know if you're painting this yourself but personally I might make some updates before doing so. Kitchens are very expensive to paint and I don't think its money well spent if you don't love the actual design (just going on your ideabook though so may be wrong). I think your canopy along with the "fillers"is wide enough to do similar this in the first pic? If you decide to remove the cupboards I would do something similar to the 2nd pic and probably add some form of shelves to bridge the space between the oven. i would also make the end of the island into bookshelves. I think once the decorative pillars and fillers between the base units are painted they will blend in. You could try shaded or shadow white and see how it works with the worktop but they're quite good colours for dark rooms. I would keep the island the same colour as the outer units. I do love inchrya blue but just wondering if a light colour will make the ceiling seem taller (although the blue won't make it any shorter than the red!). Unless needed for privacy I'd remove the blinds and maybe think about wooden shelves on the rhs

• Coldwater
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Agree definitely want to get this right! The images in the ideasbook are my dream kitchen which I know we're not going to achieve here.

We're getting quotes to paint or spray the doors by an external company. Which had the best result?

Actually thinking of changing the extractor hood entirely and replacing it with a chimney hood (without sharp edges which my husband can bang his head on as he does with the wood casing at the moment!!).

I'd agree a lighter colour would be the best option round the outside of the room. Still wondering about a darker island colour. Any suggestions what would work along side Inchya or should it be Inchyra?

I think we'd miss the practicality of the wall cupboards. What do you do when you have a load of mugs to hide away?!!

The blinds need to stay due to privacy as those windows are to the front of the house. Looking to change this to have a pattern. Also looking into getting some artwork up as that's definitely needed.
  • Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

If you're painting the room this weekend. my comment may be too late, but have you thought about restoring the walls to a lighter and whiter colour as they are in the original photos. and painting all of units in the Inchyra Blue?

• minnie101
    5 years ago

I think spray painting is normally the preferred option. I think with some tweaks to the design and the change of handles you will be amazed by the transformation. If you do opt for a hood, maybe consider replacing the architrave for something fancier as per the pic below? It shouldn't cost a lot at all. I thought you'd previously said about removing the wall units, I definitely don't think they have to go! I don't think the room is wide enough for a dark island unless you go dark all over personally. Why not use the inchrya on the opposite dining room wall too as it's a long room?

• Coldwater
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Just out of interest, aside from what I'd like, if this were your kitchen, what would you do to improve it?

We've painted the wall with the clock on Inchyra Blue, which looks great! (We've had the windows lowered in the dinning area too btw so you can actually see the garden!) Not keen on all white walls as someone suggested. We like a little colour.
  • Coldwater
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Actually, what would be so helpful, and if anyone is kind enough too, can anyone work some computer magic to show what the units/wall would look with improvements please?
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

It's hard to tell but for me there is only one consideration here and that is the worktop colour, it determines the cupboard colour. It looks like a warm beige, can you post a picture with the colour and material?

• Coldwater
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The island is a black granite and the other worktop is BushBoard oak laminate. Hard to get the true colour of the granite with the camera.

• Coldwater
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    We've decided to get all the cupboards sprayed by an external Company! Can't wait to see it transformed, however totally stuck on what colours to go for, especially on the island. We like the idea of a different colour on the island cupboards, but would this be too much as we have a different worktop on there to the rest of the room? And if we did go for a different colour what would work with the black worktop? It's so hard to picture!

We're considering a light grey on the outer cupboards.
  • Coldwater
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We've been looking for inspiration for colours and would love to know what you guys think!

So we're thinking of a different island colour on the cupboards and wondering if darker would look ok. Perhaps downpipe as shown in the first picture. Then all other putter cupboards a grey. However we are unsure what shade would work well. Any suggestions please?

We have Dulux Egyptian Cotton on the walls and will be painting the red wall Inchya Blue. The shelves on the right are being replaced with similar to picture two. We have the tiles in picture three behind the hob which we don't want to change. Will it be too much grey?

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.