otleymum

Help to make this cosy

otleymum
5 years ago
I’m looking for some advice to help make this living room more cosy please.
At the moment it feels like a room of two halves with the sitting in one half and the TV and full width window in the other. It’s quite small, about 5m x3m and a fairly low ceiling like most new builds. It’s not our main living area so I’m looking to make it a bit of a cosy retreat. All ideas welcome on furniture and colours etc. Thank you

Comments (18)

• mare9772
    5 years ago
    I would start by grouping all of your pictures on one side, and make sure you don’t hang them too high. Second, get a larger picture or mirror to hang over the fireplace. A round or oval would soften up the angles in the rest of the room. Third, add a floor lamp and a couple of table lamps. Cosy rooms depend on layers of lighting.
  • mare9772
    5 years ago
    This is roughly the proportion I’m suggesting.
  • minnie101
    5 years ago

Hi. What are you looking to change exactly? I do agree a round mirror would work better and lamps to add a cosy feel.

The door position doesn't help with the layout, have you tried the tv to the left of the fire and then you could add an accent chair in front of the window.

Or, I wouldn't normally suggest creating 2 focal points but you could try the tv opposite the fire with the sofas opposite each other

• jacksplash
    5 years ago

I also agree that the round mirror is a good idea . I would have a slight larger ceiling shade with maybe a linen texture. Could you move your tv unit into the alcove?

• otleymum
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the advice.
    I hadn’t considered a round mirror but it makes sense.
    Unfortunately there’s no alcove for the TV but perhaps it could stand to the right of the fireplace on a smaller stand and then we could put an armchair in the window?
    Any thoughts on colours or whether to wallpaper? I think the big purple flowers have had their day now.
  • jacksplash
    5 years ago

I think removing the wallpaper may make decorating a little easier..You could then could for something more neutral. Textures will make a big difference to the room.

• jacksplash
    5 years ago

Sorry, i should have said to the left of the fireplace but you could put it whatever side that makes for easy viewing.

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

It's a little odd to have the long sofa looking up the room towards the window, normally you would have it on the long wall opposite the fireplace and the T.V. Turn the T.V to the fireplace wall as I imagine it may look a little funny when the curtains are pulled back to the sides.

The big thing that's not helping is that, the curtains and the wallpaper at the other end do not match.

The wallpaper goes great with the cushions and lampshade, but the curtains at the other end don't seem to gel with anything. I'd swap for another roller blind to match the other end. Then if you want curtains too change them for something plain in a purple to go with the blinds.

• mare9772
    5 years ago
    What’s the fireplace material? Can it be painted? Keeping the walls neutral can give you more options in other areas. One thing I’ve noticed is the lack of wood, except for the tv stand. A round coffee table, thinking G-Plan, could tie in nicely with the tv stand and the mirror. You have a gorgeous little Margo Selby cushion on the sofa; if you want to consider colours that’s a great palette to start from.
  • PRO
    NB Interiors UK
    5 years ago

Hi there, there is quite a lot you could do to make it look cosy, depending on how much you want to spend. Here are some ideas and observations I hope you find helpful.

Move the TV and unit so it sits against the wall and not the curtains/window

Add a large rug with colour/pattern

To make it cosy maybe paint the walls in a colour, if you want to stay neutral on the walls go for a warm white/beige

I would edit down the cushions and keep a couple of pattern but use a main colour as a plain

Lighting will help make this cosier, add a side table and a lamp and/or a floor lamp

I agree with some comments of using a round mirror above the fireplace, if you move the TV it will feel like it's competing with the current mirror

I would definitely remove the wallpaper, it will make it easier to pull together your colour palette and give more options for an alternative wall colour

• Sonia
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi, the thing that stands out to me is the clashing wallpaper and curtains. As you say, the wallpaper has had its day and needs to go. Then I would paint the wall in a slightly bolder neutral colour such as Dulux Egyptian Cotton or F&B Skimming Stone. I feel these colours will go nicely with the curtains and the lovely footstool (I’m a great fan of footstools!) but do try tester pots first. Or even darker?

I find good lighting really can cosy up a room, especially at night. Make sure each corner has some lighting, a mixture of floor lamps and tables lamps is good. Dunelm and Wayfair have good ranges.

Then put the tv unit at an angle but mostly against the wall not the curtains. I love the little stripyish cushion which has some fab colours in it to dress the room. A rug would also help cosy it up in a warm neutral shade (not too busy) - doesn’t have to cost much. I would also bring your cluster of photos together so that you can create a nice photogallery say on the wall near the tv? I think a more prominent wooden mirror would look nice too. I hope we haven’t baffled you with too much advice - just pick the bits you like and ignore the rest! Good luck.

EGYPTIAN COTTON BY DULUX WALLS

• otleymum
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for all the advice, it’s been really helpful.
  • KK1000
    5 years ago
    I would start with removing the wall paper and painting the room in darker / cosier neutral colour. Usually I don’t like TV above fireplace but in your case it could work because it won’t be to high and you really don’t have much wall space. Move the couch of the wall a bit close to centre of the room to create an L with the couch in front of fireplace. Get a small all glass coffee table it would go with any style furniture and a floor lamp . Replace existing ceiling light with something either very simple or a really nice modern light. The curtain is not fitting well. You need different hooks for it or change it all together. Well that should make the difference.
  • Ellie
    4 years ago

Big improvement, love it when old posts are updated so we can see how you got on! It didn't actually take over a year to do that though.....?

• otleymum
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No, life just got in the way for a while 😀. Still looking for a picture to go behind the sofa that my husband I agree on so it could end up taking a year.

• E D
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Looks lovely. Well done.

Was only wondering about the position of the tv and its stand. Might it be worth trying to angle the stand 45 degrees?

• sksj1
    4 years ago

I would add an over angel shelf to the marble fire surround - a simple piece of sawn oak. Also go for warm toned paint a bit darker than you have - F&B have some natural mustard/ yellow / straw (might even be called that) colours that would look great with your curtains.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.