webuser_667193874

Bedroom Fireplace Hearth Issue

Steve B
5 years ago

Hi, I've been restoring my Edwardian terrace and decided to install the cast iron fireplace in the bedroom as shown. As the cost of an ornamental replica was the same as a functioning one, I decided to get a hearth installed and go for the real deal. With so many other jobs going on I failed to notice that once the double bed was in, there was no room to get round it! Certainly not without stubbing your toes... As it's less than ideal I'm keen to do something about it and have considered the following options:

1. Remove hearth and have it as a dummy fireplace. Would this fall foul of building regs? Could I seal up the grate to make it one complete unit? I'd like there still to be some ventilation through the closure plate to avoid damp?

2. Replace hearth with fireplace tiles flush with floor (which will be carpeted as floor boards too far gone to have exposed). I think you can have some edge strip from tiles to carpet?

3. Have hearth cut in half long ways to make it protrude less but this renders it a dummy fire (which I'm not too bothered about, just issues about how to seal it up, building regs and ventilation etc.)

Any advice appreciated.

webuser_667193874's ideas · More Info

Comments (3)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.