thepleasurehome

WiFi - Is it really the solution to all problems?

The Pleasure Home
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

First, less is more. Sticking in a "WiFi booster" may be compounding your problems if you have weak Reception somewhere in your house. Potentially you are just boosting a rubbish signal, rather than the better strategy of finding a more central location for your main WiFi point. Furthermore adding more WAPs (Wireless Access Points) may actually worsen your WiFi reception. At the very least, if it is a cheap WAP, your poor phone or tablet won't know which point to lock into or continue to lock into the weaker signal as you wander around your house. Needless to say, we have a fix for all of the above. And once we fixed it, you need to be aware that your new neighbour may decide to plug in their new, super fast, super high power router which completely destroys your WiFi reception. We have a fix for that too ...

Once you've got your WiFi nice and stable, why not run all your devices wirelessly?... Not a good move, particularly when it comes to high resolution video and even hi-fi audio. When you're downloading your e-mail or spreadsheets you won't care if there's a temporary blip on the download - you may not even be aware of it. However, quality music and video require an uninterrupted, clean transmission of signal. This becomes even more critical when you want 4K or even 8K Movies. The solution to this is ideally achieved when you next want to redecorate. We provide a service to both home owners and builders to ensure that you/they run the most suitable SmartHome cabling to the right locations throughout the house or flat, make the property as future proof as technically feasible. We've been doing this for 15 years and even our first installs are able to take advantage of the latest 4K Movies and TV.

So hard wired is the best way to go? Yes, in most cases ... except when it comes to certain Music Streaming companies where a wired solution may actually intermittently bring down your entire network! Sadly, WiFi is not simple and plagued with interference and the peculiarities of certain products and manufacturers. Looking forward to 5G? The first commercial services are expected to be launched in the second half of 2019 and claim to offer 1000Mbps wireless performance on your phone or tablet with less interference. Did I mention that it will affect a high number of Freeview, Youview, BT Vision, EETV and any other service that uses a traditional TV aerial for its live TV function?...

Comment

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.