richard_tonthat

Extension dilemma: Larger dressing room or ensuite bathroom?

Richard T83
5 years ago
Happy new year all.
We’ve recently purchased a family Victorian house and would like to do some immediate renovation and extension work. The current layout is a bit messy and doesn’t make the most of the space, partial floorplan attached.

On the second floor (loft), we want to create a new dormer extension at the rear to house a new room and a small roof terrace / large balcony. We want this floor to be one large master bedroom suite with a dressing room, balcony and an ensuite bathroom.

We’ve narrowed down the design options to just two:
1) new dormer extension at the rear to be a dressing room with fitted wardrobes and storage, with bifold doors leading to a large balcony. The current bedroom will be reconfigured to move the shower room to the front of the house, to become a small ensuite bathroom. The built in wardrobe will also be removed, and the landing from stairs scaled back; or

2) new dormer extension at the rear to be a large bathroom suite, with a door to the balcony. Current bedroom to be reconfigured to remove the shower room, landing and wardrobe, and install new built in storage along left hand side wall, either side of the staircase.

Your thoughts on which option works best would be hugely appreciated. We are a young family so don’t intend to sell for a number of years, but future resale value is of course a consideration too.

Thanks in advance!
Rich
larger ensuite bathroom with no dressing room
larger dressing room, with smaller ensuite

Comments (5)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.