webuser_667193874

Oak Flooring Disaster - What Now?

Steve B
5 years ago

Hi All

I recently had an oak floor installed in my Edwardian terraced house throughout the downstairs hallway and living areas. Prior to the joiner laying the floor, the builder layed a self levelling screed over the existing quarry/mosaic tiles in the hallway and living room. The floor failed spectacularly shortly after, expanding and buckling due to the moisture coming through the screed from the tiles underneath (no damp proofing installed at any stage).

Setting the subsequent arguments and ensuing legal battle to one side (damages run into the thousands), I'm scratching my head about what to do next. The floor was also layed in the front reception room which was already concreted with a DPM so it's been fine, I'd therefor like to re-do the oak floor in the quarry tiled living room at least (possibly have some kind of tiles for the hallway though). I should add the existing tiles are all too far gone with various sections vandalised by previous owners! I'd appreciate some advice on my following options...

Option 1 - Cover tiles with epoxy damp proof membrane and screed over top to self level. Cheapest way to safely install wood floor but question marks over long term suitability, some tiles may be slightly loose with hollow sections etc.

Option 2 - Dig up all tiles and 250mm of soil/rubble underneath and have the whole lot concreted with a proper DPM.

Option 3 - Hybrid of the two, screed the hallway and just tile it, but dig up living room to concrete for a wood floor.

I've attached plenty of pics and I'd be very interested to hear from any wood flooring experts. If I went down the concrete option would this be sufficient on it's own or would it still need a screed on top too?

Any help much appreciated!

Steve

webuser_667193874's ideas · More Info

Comments (12)

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.