garethmontgomery

Access to Garage Conversion

Monty Archer
5 years ago

I have plans to convert a double garage into a living space, there is already a bedroom above the garage accessed by it's own staircase from the "study".

Current internal access to the garage is through the "utility" and at the end of a narrowing. This clearly isn't a suitable entrance to the main family room so I'd currently plan to brick this up and create an entrance from the "study" which would become a small lobby with staircase.

Although this will all work, it doesn't quite feel like the best use of space but I can't quite place my finger on how to rearrange or improve. My dislikes are the narrow and dark corridor off the main hall to the "study" isn't that inviting given this will be our adult living space. The utility will now have a closed narrow space at the end which lacks a purpose. The study is double height but dark, perhaps a sizeable velux is in order.

Any suggestions on alternate layouts in this area would be a welcome thinking point. I'm open to moving internal walls/doors etc to improve the flow and access to the new living space.

Comments (38)

• Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Jonathan, thanks so much for taking the time to create that. I think it's inspired, never once thought to take the narrow corridor into the utility space, yet it seems obvious now you've drawn it out.

As brilliant as it is it's not quite for us as we also intend to extend the kitchen/diner to the rear and want to keep the utility. Obviously then we can't access the new room through an enlarged utility.

However you've given me another new line of thinking including your concept of taking the narrow corridor into the utility and keeping it as a larger utility. By adding a frontal porch style extension where I've drawn a childish red box, both stairwells could be accessed from an enlarged entrance hall instead. Any thoughts on that as a design?

I'm also intrigued by your idea of retaining a portion of the garage for storage, I'd only envisaged using it all for the room. This needs further consideration too. Thanks again!

• Related Discussions

Loft or side return??

Q

Comments (4)
    Three bedrooms will always be worth more than 2. If there is enough headroom I would take loft stairs up above the main staircase - from the cupboard position. Leave a landing and corridor to the bathroom and partition off a tiny bedroom/nursery/study. A lot depends on which way your roof is pitched. I would get a few loft companies in to tell you what is possible within a limited budget. If and when you get the money it might be possible to close the existing back door and refigure the kitchen units to allow a lobby and door opening out toilet and use the toilet door as your back door. A downstairs toilet is heaven sent when you have children!
    ...See More

2nd extension for 1930's dormer bungalow

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi Shelwal, Garden Rooms can be a good idea. You would get your extra room and depending on what you decide on ( size/style/final use etc), most can be built under permitted development rules, so no planning permission would be required. We build ours with Structurally Insulated Panels (SIP) panels, so they are quick to erect, cheap to heat and last forever. If you would like more information, please have a look at our website http://www.jmlgardenrooms.co.uk or let me know and we can have a chat.... Kirstin @ JML Garden Rooms.
    ...See More

Curb appeal??!

Q

Comments (14)
    Gosh, I've returned after a week travelling for work to loads more suggestions - thanks all! To respond specifically: - the house faces south so gets the lovely morning (and in the uk, sometimes the only) sun. - the husband has avoided putting plants in the planters due to maintenance and they're generally twee so comments here have confirmed to me that they will be coming out - love the idea of wooden boxes with the spiky plants and grasses - also like the concept of taking out the grass/bed/tree in front completely out and replacing with slabs - yes to lightening the windows - to the Barn company, I honestly don't mind the advice and I'd never seen sloping garage roofs. - nicking ideas from landscaping of new builds....great idea! - finally, Helen Scholes, I'm embarrassed about the spelling of kerb. Had no idea! Thanks again all.
    ...See More

Ideas for garage conversion to ensuite bedroom

Q

Comments (0)
    Can you help me with a room I want to convert to an ensuite bedroom, it is a garage conversion 17 ft x 9x
    ...See More
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    I also considered building in the front but it wasn’t my preferred option as rarely do front extension add value, they normally reduce curb appeal and I worried about how the roof could be constructed to tie in with existing roofs without also obscuring windows. It would likely reduce parking too.

I suspect the ceiling in the garage is low and so I think a smaller room is better, especially as the windows will all be on one side. You will notice that the back portion of the garage on my plan is a new utility and a store room but you are still left with a room that is wider than your current living room. Additionally you could forego the storage space if you need additional utility space.

I don’t know how you intended to extend the kitchen but if you are considering several changes perhaps it’s worth considering exploring your options with a concept planner as your options are numerous. For what it’s worth I include an additional plan with a kitchen upgrade.
  • Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The front extension is certainly a new idea in my head and would need researched and visualised before I'd go near it but it solves one large issue in my head which is the garage conversion feeling detached from the hub of the home. It's feel like it's literally around the houses from the front door. I also do have concerns on design and roof lines etc though.

Visually speaking there is already a decent porch out front which we had been considering making larger and modernising, so in a way it could just be a step up from that. That space is dead space in a way and we don't park there, I'm definitely not ruling it out.

As for the garage I was quite set on a large square room, there is an existing window on a second wall which we are considering replacing with French doors onto a newly formed closed off private patio. I admit the roof is probably low and I hadn't considered the feel this would create, the ceiling is lower than the rest of the house but it is a decent step down into it which I hoped would compensate.

Having said all that I hadn't realised the space you left at the back would be a utility and this is definitely worth exploring if we opt for a smaller room in the garage.

Finally with regards the kitchen/diner the idea is definitely full width going out anywhere between 2-4m with plenty of light from above and sliding glass doors. As we hadn't planned on moving the utility we had thought seating around the fireplace, a dining table garden side of this. The kitchen/island would be similar to you're last drawing but shifted towards the garden side as utility was still going to be there.

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    I had a play with your idea and went a bit further by extending the lounge and upstairs. I still believe a concept planner could be ideal for helping get the house right for you.
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Ps- extending at the front is harder to gain planning for so it might be worth checking out the feasibility upfront by calling your planning department
  • Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Really fantastic stuff Jonathan, plenty of food for thought! If money was no object the lounge and upstairs extension would be of interest but it's just not an area we would gain substantially from extending.

Seeing the front porch/hallway extension does tempt me down that route, if it could be made to visually fit in externally I think it really helps the flow of the house with the converted garage. Interesting you have only come out half way across the study, as I'd have been tempted to go to it's full width, but perhaps that is a waste just for more hall space. In fact I see 3m-sq porch extension is permitted development, your design might be achievable within those parameters. that.

Converting the box room upstairs to an ensuite and removing the pointless WC (which frustrates me) is also very creative and of interest, although more for the future depending on if we're done having kids or not!

Sorry, despite googling I'm going to have to ask what a concept planner is, I've searched and failed to find much information. Is this a pre-cursor to working with an architect?

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Look up OnePlan on Houzz under the list of professionals. She is a consistent contributor to Houzz, has a page full of past projects to give you an idea of what she does and a quick email to her will start a dialogue about the different levels of service and prices.
    A concept planner is a way of exploring design, in your case before speaking to an architect for technical input. The benefit of this is it is a more cost effective way than exploring several layouts than with an architect.
  • Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok, that does look like it could be a valuable service. For a number of reasons this isn't something we'll be doing imminently so this is early exploratory research on my part until we're in a position to go. This is definitely something I make use of when we're ready for the next stage!
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Thanks for the mention Jonathan!
    Hi Monty, we are very much a here when you need us, but won’t bother you if you don’t, kind of set up ! Just factor in that we do get booked up about 3-4 weeks ahead ! So don’t just wait until the exact moment you need us to get in touch !!
    Kind regards
    Karen from OnePlan
  • Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks OnePlan, I'll keep it in mind. We've only just moved in and have a lot of other life stuff happening simultaneously so we're just formulating ideas in our own heads as to what's important for us at this stage and toying with ideas before hopefully kicking on at some point next year!
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

Just a quick thought...........love all the plans. You may wish to check with an Estate agent about the impact of removing a Double Garage from a property of this size versus adding an extension instead and keeping the garage.

I would have thought that a property of this size would be better with the Garage intact and a further extension to gain what you want.

• Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Jonathan could I ask what software you are using to produce these floorplans. I'd like to have a play myself to produce something to share with some friends, mixing some of your ideas with my own. I don't want to keep troubling you for new iterations! What you have done has been fantastic and thought provoking though. Much appreciated.
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    It’s an App called HouseDesign
  • PRO
    BetterSpace: The Floor Plan Experts
    5 years ago

Hi Monty,

I agree, the narrow and dark corridor is not really ideal. However I feel like the positioning of both of these two staircases is the real cause of this narrow corridor. To start, I’d suggest opening up the staircase leading from the reception hall into kind of an open staircase. Also, the toilet in the same area can be moved to the now empty space where the entrance to the garage used to be. Similarly, reduce the width of the utility room a bit, also to help with opening up the corridor more.

Regarding repurposing the garage to a living area, since options here are limited unlike a new house from scratch, I feel what you did there with converting the study to a foyer is really in order. As mentioned, a skylight inside this new area is necessary to light the space accordingly.

I hope this was helpful. If you need any further advice, feel free to get in touch via email (ed.rogers@betterspace.co) or through out site: www.betterspace.co. All the best! Ed

• PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Re previous comment - just be sure that your staircase remains a safe fire escape route out, as this building requires it.
  • Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Man About the House - We bought the best house we could afford in the area we want, ideally we would have the garage and living space but as our home for yrs and yrs to come we have to prioritise what we'll use most. There will be space left for a single, planning permitting but we hope to use that space as a private front patio off the converted garage during our tenure here!

Jonathan - It appears that app is Apple only so I'll have a look for something simple to use on PC or Android

• Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Betterspace - thanks for pitching in, again some excellent alternate thinking. When you say the positioning of the staircase is the issue, I'm not sure how moving them and the cost associated would help. However your idea of opening up the main staircase is very interesting, the wall between the downstairs/upstairs WCs and staircase is stud so shouldn't be hard to open up compared to other works.

However from a visitors point of view, I'm not sure I want my downstairs WC hidden away by the utility and back door. The front porch extension area mentioned above could house the WC allowing movement around all sides of the main staircase. Although by giving up utility to widen the corridor I'm starting to feel like we're giving up too much useful space for hallways!

• Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

OnePlan could you clarify on the staircase/fire escape? What changes do you envisage that would render it ineffective on this front? I assume opening it up but not moving it would never cause harm in this sense?

• PRO
    User
    5 years ago

If you can't use Jonathan's app try Floorplanner.................link here floorplanner.com It takes a little while to get to used to, it's fairly easy, but does have more complex attributes if you want them. It also includes the 3d option, which is invaluable. I find that often i will draw a plan in 2d, but when i blow it up, it throws up things / views that you didn't think about and then you can amend it to suit.

Good news re the extra garage for the future.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    5 years ago
    Hi Monty - you need to keep the route from upstairs to outside as fire safe as possible - so all doors to the staircase need to be fire doors. Opening the space up may cause a danger if it means the fire safety isn’t observed. This is your main route out and needs to be protected. Sprinklers can be installed if an open plan space fits your lifestyle best - if you have a chat with the fire safety officer in your local area - they will keep you on the right track.
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Well spotted OnePlan. If you do have access to the garage conversion through the kitchen then you have lost your route of escape from the bedroom above the garage in the event of a fire. The solution is the garage conversion having a door which I think you had planned anyway.
  • Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks man about the house, I'll have a look at that. Would be handy to get a base plan drawn up I can adapt instead of scribbling on paper from scratch every time a new idea crops up!

In response to the fire comments as I don't plan to move any stairs and at most will move the front door by 1.5m I can't see it being an issue. As Jonathan states the intention is to have french doors/bifolds on the side of the garage too in terms of leaving from the bedroom above. Assuming having this on the front of the house doesn't prove a crazy idea, it will still be protected from view!
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I think an Architect or Floorplanner would serve you well.

Having had another look a the whole thing, I think given enough thought, and if the budget allowed i'd start with 'Can I just have one set of stairs' .

Striving for the one set of stairs to tie the house together with the Garage would make the most sense.

Houses with two sets if they are being used as one home, aren't ideal.

Thus i'd try for something like this ( bearing in mind, it has to be looked at by a structural engineer and drawn to scale etc, so it is just an idea ), and, I have no idea what the structure of the Garage roof is.

If you were able to get more room out of the upstairs of the Garage then you could go for something more like this:-

I had in mind opening up the middle of the house and having a galleried type staircase and landing.

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    There is another post that shows the roofline of the garage extension suggesting that the walkway from the main house through to the room over the garage would have to be through the middle of one bedroom. Unless there is budget to build an additional storey above the garage and study I think I would stick with two staircases.
  • PRO
    User
    5 years ago

I thought the Study was double height? So, I presume the space above normal ceiling height could be used to access the room over the garage? Will have a look at the other thread.

Then I guess that's why they need an architect.

• Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Man about the house, thanks for the time and effort in creating those suggestions but as Jonathan has beaten me to it in pointing out the 2D plan doesn't give the full picture obviously.

The study/garage is only double height along the centre meaning access from the main house would need to be through a bedroom if the floor levels even match up. I'm just hoping there is enough floor to ceiling in the garage for a decent room as we can't go double height due to the existing and useful conversion above.

So although I agree two staircases isn't ideal for house flow, it probably is necessary without huge changes which don't make much sense when above the garage is already converted. I also see advantages in it such as visitors being completely independent from bedroom family life!

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    I think I would probably have glass doors into the room opposite the front door to get hallway light from that direction. You could also have a rooflight above the study which would spill light into the hall. A pale reflective floor will also help.
  • Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Jonathan, sorry life got very busy there for a while! We actually already have glass doors opposite the front door into the kitchen and intend to add a sizeable rooflight in the study so perhaps we will be reasonably catered for in terms of light despite any porch addition.

A fresh thought on layout came to but I've had zero time to get acquainted with floorplanner or an alternate piece of software to draw it out. I will endeavour to manage this soon.

It basically involves reducing the size of the existing utility so the small hall becomes twice as wide. Then closing off the hallway at this end so this is in effect a galley off the kitchen with pantry style units leading to a door at the study end allowing ease of access from kitchen to garage conversion. Hard to explain fully and it's benefits as we see them without a drawing so I'll work on that!

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Sounds like you would create a 16’ corridor to get to a new utility room and widening the hallway to the study reduces your kitchen which then pushes you to have to extend the kitchen. Personally I still prefer my first plan.
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    Sounds like you would create a 16’ corridor to get to a new utility room and widening the hallway to the study reduces your kitchen which then pushes you to have to extend the kitchen. Personally I still prefer my first plan.
  • Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My description really doesn't convey the concept so I've knocked the floorplan up. The front extension links the two hallway spaces as discussed before.

The utility room is reduced to all that is needed and the narrow corridor is widened and becomes a walk in pantry similar to the style shown. There is still a shortcut access from kitchen to garage conversion beyond this. Perhaps pantry units would be better on the opposite utility wall. Thoughts everyone?? Been through many iterations and involving various suggestions to get here.

• Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

In drawing the plan I've just thought of this alternate which allows a narrower utility by moving the door, in turn creating a wider pantry/cut through with the bonus of additional kitchen unit space.

I've posted the original floorplan alongside for ease of analysis by anyone new to this now lengthy discussion.

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    I might consider moving the wc so I could save money building forward leaving better funds for other works.
  • Jonathan
    5 years ago
    This time with a pic
  • Monty Archer
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I have considered moving the toilet at length and the position you've chosen does make a lot of sense. The issues I keep coming back to are the access to the new garage conversion will now be through another narrow gap (the WC is very narrow) which is a problem I was trying to solve at the outset elsewhere.

I also feel if I'm in the kitchen, without a cut through it's a long way round to the garage conversion. I was keen if possible to maintain this routing option albeit not as the main point of entry to the conversion from arrival at the front door.
  • Monty Archer
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone for your input on this, a few months down the line and my only firm decision is that we won't extend out the front for fear of damaging the aesthetics of the house.

I have plenty of good options, but none that fell perfect. I guess compromise will have to be made!

Anyway, an architect has been appointed who initially sketches some concepts before any detailed drawing. I'll see what he suggests, any last minute thoughts or input appreciated!

• PRO
    Sarah Beeny's Renovate Don't Relocate
    4 years ago

Hi Monty,

I work for Outline Productions and we are making series 2 of ‘Sarah Beeny’s: Renovate Don’t Relocate’, which follows our property expert Sarah helping homeowners transform not just their homes, but the way they use them.

We're looking for homeowners who have a design dilemma and have a budget to renovate, for whom Sarah can provide expert advice and help make your design go further!

If you're interested, please do get in touch - my email is antoniao@outlineproductions.co.uk.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.