melanie_mo49

karndean Korlock badly laid.

Mel Mo
5 years ago

Today i had my new Kardean Korlock floor laid in our new entension. After weeks of researching thid product, then a 2 month wait for the shop to lay it, i'm destressed to have come home to this...(see photos) It looks totally unfinished. There are significant gaps around my island and tall cupboards. one of the cupboards has a 4mm gap next to it and i can clearly see the whole interlocking system on the plank. All along my bifold doors the planks are cut badly and gaps visiable, and the floor moves significantly under foot.
I contacted the shop (extremely rude and unhelpful) who told me that as the bifolds are flush to the floor there can be no beading as it will be above track height. They also said that the expamdion gap in other areas in necessary but they can put a beading around certain parts (but also said that it will look bad as it will be random pieces of beading, which dont run all the way around. Im pretty sure that no one would pay 2.5 grand for this shoddy job.
I'm hoping to take some advice, if anyonr has any, on how to deal with this.
Thank you in advance.

Comments (19)

• Daisy England
    5 years ago

Ekkk £2.5k is a lot of money for a job you’re not happy with and I can see why.

• Sonia
    5 years ago

Oh dear, it looks like something my husband would do, hence he’s not allowed to do any diy! I wouldnt let them get away with it. I know it’s a pain to complain. Years ago Allied Carpets laid a carpet in my mums hallway, but for some reason the carpet was about 3” short to the door! I complained and they pulled it all up and laid down new. Idiots.

Get then to either make good, or return your money and get someone else to finish the job properly. If they’re not being nice, you always have the Small Claims Court. Hope you get it sorted soon.

• Mel Mo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Than you Daisy, Thank you Forzaitalia. The current situation is that ive paid half and they called me to pay the second half, which of course i refused. They were very rude and said they would take the floor up and give me a refund when its returned. I really dont want them in my house, the attitude made me so upset! My husband said we should just flatly refuse to pay the second half and get someone else to make it good. I will think on the options tomorrow as im not sure if thats a good idea or not.
  • Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

God I feel for you. Is it glued down? If so, how would they remove it without making a total mess? If so, let them remove it and get someone better and cheaper to do the right job. If you do get an opportunity to do it again, I would go straight to a good fitter and get him to purchase the materials. Pay a good fitter well and get the product cheaper. Often shops pay fitters poorly and so they rush the job.

• Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

Wow that's really not very good at all. I would be livid and very upset!

I'd take their offer of removing it and getting a refund - providing it's confirmed in writing and then I'd look at sourcing it from somewhere else and getting a Karndean recommended fitter.

• Jonathan
    5 years ago
    This stuff is just a floating floor, is not stuck down, and in my opinion unless you have acres of the stuff you have been robbed with a £2.5k bill.
    Definitely get them to take it away and give you a refund. In my opinion a floating floor was always the wrong product for this area unless it could go under the skirting boards and island (which is not easy since they are already in). However I think their fitter could have done a better job too.
    I read that Tarket Telstar is a premium quality vinyl on a roll and should be able to be fitted up to your doors and island with no expansion gap- check with installers about how to fit around an island as this option usually requires a join which needs to be done well so you don’t see it.
    A stick down luxury Vinyl tile/strips would also work well. The best known brands like Karndean and Amtico challenge a lot of peoples budget. As a result most independent carpet shops have a budget brand to consider- I think these are the same quality but seem to have less colour choices, only a 15 year guarantee but seem to be half the price. The LVT option is my favourite as you can add contrasting “grout” strips which in my opinion elevates the look.
  • Mel Mo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you all for the advice so far. With hindsight I would have had the floor laid before the kitchen, but being a novice at extension builds, this sadly didnt happen. Bearing in mind the terrible process I have gone through with the supplier, I think the best course of action is to get them to take it away for a refund. The sticking point is that my bifolds were fitted to allow for this flooring (6.5 mm) so getting wood now might not be an option.
  • Daisy England
    5 years ago

If you’ve already paid a deposit of 50% are they happy to refund this? Not paying the balance if you have a problem with the work carried out is fair enough but you won’t want to be out of pocket for bad work. Why aren’t they offering to rectify it?

• Juliet Docherty
    5 years ago

The product that Jonathan suggested - glue down luxury vinyl strip is a contender. I have it in my art studio and it cost less than £600 including fitting as the fitter sourced it at cost price. I think what you have been charged for this is absurd, get them to take it away if possible and rethink. Good luck.

• Mel Mo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Hi Daisy, they offered to rectify it by putting some beading around various parts, but also specified that it will higher than my bifold track and other parts wont look great with beading. I'm unwilling to accept a patch up job as a remedy. I have a project manager for my build (independant of flooring people
    ) who has given his opinion that lots of boards need taking up and re-measuring/cutting. Ive heard nothing from the shop today so its a stalemate right now.
  • Daisy England
    5 years ago

I wouldn’t want beads either. I don’t even like them when it’s fitted on a laminate floor. Surely it would be better if they were to remove the offending covering and replace it. All I was thinking is that if they’ve already paid out for the materials and these end up being scrap I doubt you’ll get this bit refunded.

• PRO
    FAIRFAX FLOORING
    5 years ago

Hi, I'm certain retailer would like to get paid as much as you would like to have £2.5k worth of flooring to your satisfaction. In contrast to what few imply that you have been "ripped-off", you have entered the contract to which at the time you believed to be value for money. What level of service have you been sold is another matter and it sounds there is some sort of miscommunication on how and with what products flooring should be finished around perimeter. Manufacturer states for expansion gap to be necessary requirement and before taking your order, estimator/salesperson should have explained all the options available. Beading or any type of moulding would not work against bifold door frame, and simplest option would be Premier Trim Little Lip from "StairRods". It's available in various surface finishes.

As far as regarding "floor movement", floor should move under foot but only very slightly, as its "Floating Click". If there is excessive movement, that would most likely be inadequate subfloor preparation (if any was applied). As with any LVT products, due to lack of mass (weight), absolutely crucial and most important job is to prepare subfloor. Again, it goes down to what you have been sold by the retailer.

I'm sure you can get someone to talk sense and resolve it amicably, and if not you first port of call should be "Karndean". If retailer is authorised "Karndean" installer, they will take it on board to rectify any issues offering retailer to correct it or organise for Master Installer to attend.

All the best.

• Mel Mo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks for your advice. There is a lot of movement by the bi fold track but there are also different sized big gaps between track and plank. I wasnt offered or advised of any possible edging. Underneath there is a new screed floor which laid by my builders so the retailer didnt deal with that.
    I understand an expansion gap but i didnt expect a 6mm gap around my cupboards.
    The company have now hit me with their legal email so they I will allow them to attempt to make it right despite the awful process that it has been.
  • Mel Mo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    ...Oh and thanks, I will notify Karndean of the situation when it is resolved.
  • Mel Mo
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Really? Well, Legally I have to give them an opportunity to recify the mess anyway, (if it was up to me I wouldnt let them in my house again).
  • Ribena Drinker
    5 years ago

Oh still allow them the opportunity to rectify their mess, but I'm sure alerting Karndean to the issue you have, won't hurt and it may result in them taking a greater care in getting it right this time, if they think Karndean are aware.

• Daisy England
    5 years ago

You have to give them chance to rectify the problem. Would Karndean be interested? Maybe or maybe not. They’re probably one company in thousands. The product was fine, it was the fitting that was at fault.

• PRO
    Italian Design Ltd
    5 years ago

we don't supply Karndean but they do produce some excellent products. Let's mention some important technical info about your floor. Korlok should be laid with an expansion gap of 5 mm (0.2”) around the perimeter of the room and all fixed objects, including pipes. This must be increased to 8 mm (0.33”) for areas larger than 100 m2 (1000sqft).

This to allow for expansion and to avoid floor cupping or bowing. Korlock floor is always installed floating.

Generally speaking gaps are covered by either the skirting boards or edging

Your installer should have checked if the kitchen plinth could be adjusted and possibly fit the floor beneath the plinth. If that wasn't an option he should have told you.

Your suppliers should have given you all the various options at point of sale but evidently it didn't happen.

The good news is that there are plenty of floor trims to remedy the problem. Floor trims can be in metal, normally brass or aluminium, wood or plastic and are suitable for tiles or wood flooring.

Ireland
Tailor my experience with cookies

Houzz uses cookies and similar technologies to personalise my experience, serve me relevant content, and improve Houzz products and services. By clicking ‘Accept’ I agree to this, as further described in the Houzz Cookie Policy. I can reject non-essential cookies by clicking ‘Manage Preferences’.